Broken Timing belt

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

wiredjosh

Hey all,

I helped a friend put an H22 in his F-powered prelude, and shortly thereafter broke the timing belt. We found that the tensioner support bolt had broken, and have waited for a few parts to come in and crap, and so tonight we had everything and put in a new belt, bolt, and tensioner. We put it together and compression tested it and got 240-220-235-240, which doesn't seem too bad to me. Is there any reason he can't drive it? Is there something that I'm overlooking that could be wrong with the car still? I've never had a car that I worked on lose its timing belt, and so it's kinda new on me.

Lemme know what you guys think! :worthy: :worthy:

Hopefully you didn't bend any valves.

That 220 looks kinda low compared to the other three. On most cars, you want the numbers to be within 10 psi of eachother. 220 is a bit lower than 240, whereas 235 seems reasonable. If you get any valve tap or the engine doesn't run right, shut it down immediately.

It's too bad you didn't compression test the engine before the belt broke, so that you had some numbers to compare. I wouldn't be surprised if you have one or two bent valves.

are you familiar with leakdown testing?

that could help you diagnose the situation...

i believe they look for over a 10% variance between the cylinders...

but i agree with the above that you may have a couple tweaked valves on cylinders 2 and 3...

it doesn't sound too serious though, performance will be slightly hurt and it will more than likely burn more oil now as the tweaked valves wear on the valve seals...

make sure its timed right and it should be ok to drive

Moving this to General Maintenance, since people don't venture into the Dark Side very much. :)

I am familiar with leakdown testing, but I don't think I have the equipment to do it. I've also heard of using oil in the cylinders to test for rings vs. valve damage, but I don't think that would be of much use to me right now. Can you give me specifics on what it takes to leakdown a motor? Maybe I can get that to give me some answers.

Thanks a bunch guys!!!!

Originally posted by wiredjosh@Sep 8 2004, 08:24 PM
I am familiar with leakdown testing, but I don't think I have the equipment to do it. I've also heard of using oil in the cylinders to test for rings vs. valve damage, but I don't think that would be of much use to me right now. Can you give me specifics on what it takes to leakdown a motor? Maybe I can get that to give me some answers.

Thanks a bunch guys!!!!
[post=387684]Quoted post[/post]​

How to: Leak down and Compression tests

Last edited by a moderator:
Back