building for torque!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

As many have told me, building your engine N/A is the expensive way to go slow. Gotta boost man if your looking for some serious tq.

i agree with what you are all saying about turbos being the best bang for your buck and that you beat v8 with high revs. But for me its about making the engine "be all that it can be" and learning along the way. I have all year and some decent coin to spend so why not take the time and see what i can do. beside it really intrests me to see what i can get out of a 1.6L engine. Does anyone have any real info on what kinda of numbers "can" be produced with a very well done, n/a b16a.
p.s. my licence was pulled for driving with expired insurance. three f*ckin days expired!!! B.C. rules SUCK!!!:thumbsdown:

Look man, I respect what you want to do here, but it is not the logical nor the cheap way to approach this.

If you must go all motor, you're better off with a fully built N/A K24/K20. With the right chassis, that will have you in the low-mid 12's in the quarter. I'm assuming that's what you're most concerned with.

OP: Good luck to ya. Honda's only make decent torque numbers when turbo/supercharged. If I were trying to do this, I'd go turbo and just select a small turbocharger that will spool extremely quick. Pair this with the aggressive gearing of the B16 tranny, and you have a pretty quick little car.

im really in to auto cross or street x. thats why i really like the b16 and the tranny, so you think if a put a small turbo in that spools really quick, i will be able to eliminate turbo lag and have good even power ban?

i agree with what you are all saying about turbos being the best bang for your buck and that you beat v8 with high revs. But for me its about making the engine "be all that it can be" and learning along the way. I have all year and some decent coin to spend so why not take the time and see what i can do. beside it really intrests me to see what i can get out of a 1.6L engine. Does anyone have any real info on what kinda of numbers "can" be produced with a very well done, n/a b16a.
p.s. my licence was pulled for driving with expired insurance. three f*ckin days expired!!! B.C. rules SUCK!!!:thumbsdown:

decent coin eh? i take it your only allowed to drive to work and back home...

i can spare about 1k per month for the build so over the year it will be upwards of 10k. oh, no i cant drive to and from work, im not allowed to drive at all!! :mad:;)

Look into the jackson racing supercharging kit. I have the same setup on my b18c. With it, you won't experience any lag what so ever, and enjoy excellent reliability. I feel that it is the best setup available for autox. Even better, your car will still look stock under the hood because the compressor is hidden under the intake manifold. Check out my build thread in my signature.

i have a f22b1 in my accord and heard about putting a h23 intake manifold on it gives you a nice gain in HP and was trying to see i anyone has done this or knows how to do this and if there are any more mods like this i can do (i.e. heads, pistons etc.)

:werd:

What have you done to the engine, and do you know what you're putting to the wheels? Thats sounds like something i could have fun with !!!
Bet a hundred against a 5.0L and smoke his mullet rocker ass!!!

:werd:

What have you done to the engine, and do you know what you're putting to the wheels? Thats sounds like something i could have fun with !!!
Bet a hundred against a 5.0L and smoke his mullet rocker ass!!!

The engine is totally stock except for arp head studs. I've never dyno tuned it, just on the street using hondata and a wideband. I'm guessing it puts down 240-250 whp. The car hauls, and it's a blast to drive because I don't have to rev the crap out of it to go fast.

if i am going with a power adder, id like to see atleast 325-350hwp. Is that possible with a good build and the jackson s/c?

No, that level isn't possible unless you get the inlet ported, and a water-air intercooler fitted to the manifold. For those power levels I would go for a turbo setup because it will be much more cost effective.

To be honest, 250 whp is plenty for a daily driven civic.

Whats the differance in cost between a 350whp turbo set-up and a 350whp s/c set-up? and are there any pro's or cons to spending the money on a supercharger?

Well with a S/C there is no lag which is kind of nice, they make a broader power band, but like 99si its going to cost more to get 350 out if a supercharger than a turbo setup.

When you up the boost to say >10 psi with a roots charger you end up generating lots of heat. This makes it tough to make power, and will destroy your engine. Edyne is a company that will port the inlet tube and rework the internals of the blower. This will cost you 1-2k depending on what's done. Then there is LHT that installs water-air intercoolers into the jrsc manifold. I may be mistaken, but this is an additonal $800. These items allow you to reduce inlet temps and make more power. Tack those costs onto the 3k its going to cost to get the high boost kit from jackron racing. (blower, hondata, injectors, ect...).

So you're looking at 5k for just the setup. Not to mention you ought to upgrade your internals to handle this reliably. I know a turbo setup can be built for far less of a number. Going turbo is generally cheaper, but doesn't offer the sweet power band and instant response of a s/c setup.

Last edited:
Back