built b16 head problems

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Wilshire

Big WIll
i Just had the head on my b16 built and now when when vtec engages a power loss occures. When it crosses over into vtec it feels like im hitting the brakes, although you can hear the crossover and tell vtec engaged.

so heres a list of the modifications
Skunk 2 stage 2 cams, high comp valves, dual wound valve springs, titanium retainers, cam gears, a cometic thin head gasket, arp head studs, type r intake mani, rc 68mm throttle body. New OEm piston rings
and i also have a password jdm carbon intake and pacestter header, a 2.25 inch full exhaust, those were previously installed before the build

The head was also ported and polished and milled a little bit for compression. I just got it back yesterday and was breaking it in according to an article with a link from this site, and when i hit vtec, like i said before it feels like im hitting the breaks...

Can any of these new parts be the cause of this problem/??

Thanks in advance

Is it tuned? That is most likely your problem. If its untuned, its going to run like ass, and you should NOT break new rings in when your car is running like ass.

no its not tuned. So can it be tuned correctly if i dont have any fuel mods done to it.

would you just recomend like a Apexi vafcII or greddy e-manage to tune it?? if not wat would you recomend

Piggybacks aren't accurate enough, honestly.

Yes, you can still get tuned even with your stock fuel system. The ecu is still feeding the engine the stock amount of air/fuel when you have cams that call for more of both. This is what is causing it to run wierd.

I'm guessing you're already OBD1, so get a chipped P28 or get your ecu chipped and take to a tuner, they will probably use CROME or a program closely related.

In the mean time, do not put any more miles on that thing.

alright thanks.

acutally the motor is in a 97 sol so its obd2. but i got a p28 ecu from a buddy. the only thing is its a cheap ebay one with a "chip". I know its just junk

But to get it ready for it to be able to be tuned i would need to send it out to get socketed and chipped right???

i read on a post here that there is a company called xenocrom that i could send the p28 to and they will socket and chip it, and do everything that needs to be done in order to be ready to tune.

well i guess my question is they should be able to take out the ebay chip or whatever is in the ecu and put their stuff in it right??

Thanks for helping this noob out...

send the p28 ecu to xenocroN! tell them your exact setup,they will chip,socket and basemap the ecu,,then you get the obd2-obd1 conversion harness and go right to a tuner

i already have the adapter harness and have already emailed the guys at xenocron eariler today.

thanks

Back