Bump Timing

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

randerson165

I have a few things done to my car (In my signature). I am replacing the head tomorrow morning with a non-warped one and the guy who did my engine before said I have advanced timing. How do I set the timing on my car so that it is advanced ? Do I adjust it with the cam gear set to 0 and then adjust my cam gear a few degrees ? Please Help.

PM...

Can you answer me timing question ?

https://hondaswap.com/forums/index.php?...=0&#entry136340

Nobody seems to know and you have been helpful in the past.

Twenty three minutes hardly constitutes "nobody seems to know" does it? Be a little more patient.

-----

Advance- rotate cam toward front of car
Retard- rotate cam toward firewall

Don't overdo it... you don't want to slap your valves into your pistons. Or maybe you want to- it's up to you. I would leave your timing stock until you get to a dyno to tune it, and are able to check for clearances also.

So what does having an adjustable cam gear do ? If I set the cam gear at 0 and set my timing to factory, then what does adjusting the cam gear do ? Its set at like +2 or +3 marks.

On a DOHC engine, it allows you to vary the overlap and cam timing. On a SOHC engine, you advance and retard at the same time (intake vs exhaust) so you effectively move the power band around in the rev range.

Ignition timing and camshaft timing are two totally separate things.

Thanks for clearing that up. So with my cam gear on there. do I leave it set at +2 or +3 degrees and just put it on my new head like that ?

Originally posted by randerson165@Jun 26 2003, 08:00 PM
Thanks for clearing that up. So with my cam gear on there. do I leave it set at +2 or +3 degrees and just put it on my new head like that ?

If it worked fine on the old head, and your new head is the same, it'll work on the new head. I would personally set it to zero until you get it on a dyno.

Back