burning oil or oil leak?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

t3t4si

Well I just finished my b16 longblock swap into my 00 si. Its been running for about 2 weeks now. I live on the mississippi/alabama state line and went to the nopi nationals this past weekend. From here its around a 4 1/2 to 5 hour drive. On the first night after arriving i checked my oil and no oil registered on the dipstick. :blink: The car ran fine and also vtec engaged. Thats where i got confused. At first i thought the wrong dipstick was in the motor. But upon draining my oil that night i found there was only 2 and 1/2 quarts of oil in the pan. (vtec still engaged). So i changed the oil and put 4 quarts in and when i got back to mississippi i found the motor lost 1 quart of oil. There are no apparent oil leaks from the back or front of the block. I asked a few people at nopi and they suggested it was the rear main seal. I also have noticed that my clutch does not grab when it usually does when the car warms up...... sorry for the life story but does anyone have any suggestions on what it could be......there is no white smoke coming from my exhaust or crankcase breather.

Originally posted by t3t4si@Sep 20 2004, 03:30 PM
......there is no white smoke coming from my exhaust or crankcase breather.
[post=392580]Quoted post[/post]​

Wouldn't that be blue-tinged exhaust that you'd be looking out for? Blue=buring oil. White=evaporating coolant.

Did you engage in vtec very much? That will consume oil. And are you using synthetic oil or dino oil? If you are using synthetic, use regular dino oil instead.

Check your rear main seal. By your description of your problem, it sounds like oil is leaking from the rear main seal and getting onto your clutch disc. See if u can spot any oil where ur tranny meets your motor.

Im gonna look closer into that rear main seal... i did seem to notice a very small amount of some kind of fluid around where the tranny meets the block I also am using synthetic oil...ill also use regular dino oil and see what happens.

Back