but all the cool people are doing it...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

asmallsol

Super Moderator
Last night, I was on a country road driving out to a HS members house to help them pull his engine. Anyways I was going down this road, on my cell phone getting directions (aka I didn't know the area too well). It was really dark out, and slightly snowing so visibility was horrible. I was defently going under the 50mph speed limit (but I am not sure of my exact speed). I am driving, then basicly at the last second, this curve in the road appears. At this point, I basicly go to first instincts. I push the brakes and slide through the rest of the pavement (not much) into and then over the ditch on the other side where I stoped. I get out check for damage, my bumper is hanging off, my front lip is ripped off, but other then that it "appears" on the outside that my car is kinda ok.

I pop the hood and start the car, there is a horrible vibrations coming from the bumper rattling against the fender. I look under the hood, the bottom part of the raditor support is bent in. My freind calls up and asks what happened (I was on the phone with him while it happened, but when I saw the curve, I just let go of the phone and did what I had to do) They came over and helped me check for damages. At this point, I was not too worried about the damages. Once they show up with flashlights, I notice that the driver side frame rail started to buckle, and they effects went to the lower engine mount.

I then go back to where I first went in. I then see the remains of a bunch of other plastic peices. I start looking at them and realize that most were not from me. Folling my tracks, right at the upslope there are two metal street sign poles. One is about 4 feet tall and all mangeled, the other one is pretty much sheered off 9inches or so out of the ground. My tracks went right over the short ones and missed the tall one by inches. These poles used to hold up a big signed that warned of the curve. If that was there, I would have seen the curve from far away.

For the drive test. Really there is very little diffrence. Steering wheel is a few degrees off center, but other then that, it feels normal. The problem is, I want to get rid of this car, and now, its going to be impossible with that damage.

I am going to call insurance and the county road commission. My hopes are, insurance company finds me less then half my fault (I have limited collision. More then 50% my fault, I don't get paid). Since there are 163k on the chassis, they will for sure total it. I will buy it back for the 500, get my engine, teins, seats, cluster, wheels, vafc, suspension bars, top, and lights, then get rid of the car. Problem is, I am tied up with school for the next 7 weeks so who knows.

:cliffs: snowing and I don't see the curve. I go through the curve, hit a ditch then end up in the clearing on the other side. Frame damage, but car drives kinda ok. After further inspection, notice that a sign was once there warning of the curve, but some else takes it out.

sue the state. they are required to fix down signs withing 24 hours or some shit. if its been more than that since the last documented accident, you're golden.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Mar 12 2005, 03:45 PM
sue the state. they are required to fix down signs withing 24 hours or some shit. if its been more than that since the last documented accident, you're golden.
[post=472650]Quoted post[/post]​

I called up and the Country road commission (people who are responsible for road signs) and they are close for the weekend. I will try monday. Chances are its longer then 24 hours. Here, the road commission will pay for damage to cars from pot holes only after the pothole was not fixed 30 days after the first documentation of the pothole

The kind of ironic or weird thing about this is, the person that I was goign to help pull his engine is actually the kid that I sold my engine to. About 6 months after I did the swap to his car, he flips it. He buys the car back and takes my old engine out of that car, then puts it into an EG. Anyways, he went boost and beat the hell out of the engine. Was running extremly low on oil, throws a rod. I find out about the rod last night. So not only did my car get trash, I also learn about my old engine getting trashed the same day.

Sue them for the damages. Working for a municipality, I can tell you that they don't want to be liable for greater damages. If you sue them for a larger amount, they might settle with you for just the damage to the car, in order to save money. $5k is nothing to them. They make that per person in one month.

Hire me. I know the law, and work for kegs.

werd, get a police report...
hopefully you did already?
but i doubt it...

small claims court = 3K... no lawyer
not sure if you can take a muni to small claims though
lol

gallery_8_32_84636.jpg

You're officially part of the badass club, Colin.

Well first plan is a no go. My dad talked with our insurance agent and he said since there was only one car and I left the road, there is no chance for me to win. Body shop says 1500-2000. Tommrow I will call up on the policy of the county on signs and try and go that route.

That sucks dude. I know a few people that have slid into ditches, not that much damage though.

Not the same situation, but you might get lucky.
My friend hit a barrier last year going 25, and the barrier folded and his car tumbled down a hill. Long story short, he sues, 2 years later he's now buying a house with cash.

Originally posted by Slammed89Integra@Mar 15 2005, 09:23 PM
That sucks dude. I know a few people that have slid into ditches, not that much damage though.

Not the same situation, but you might get lucky.
My friend hit a barrier last year going 25, and the barrier folded and his car tumbled down a hill. Long story short, he sues, 2 years later he's now buying a house with cash.
[post=474038]Quoted post[/post]​

right. I knew a parallegal for a while. Her hubby was a lawyer. A lady left a parking lot right in front of a car. They get smacked. They sued the parking lot owner and won mad $$$$$$$.

Just make sure the lawyer doesn't fuck ya. They'll probably want at least half of the winnings. Your win -half -taxes won't be a bundle. It's usually a nice chunk tho.

Back