Buying a thread chaser, got a question...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

93civicracer

Oh, I do a little here and there.
So I need a thread chaser to clear up the threads in my block but I need to know what size the threads are. The block is a D15B Vtec block same as Z6 threads, does anyone know what size the threads are? Thanks for responses!! I can't find this anywhere!

Will this set have what I need is the size right for Z6 block threads? http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=arp%2D911%2D0006&view=1&N=700++

Last edited:
No, do not use that set. That set is standard. The threads in your block are metric. An example of a metric thread pitch would M8-1.25, where as standard would be 1/4-20. Some of them may feel like they fit in your block, but the threads are slightly different. As for what your metric thread pitchs are, I dont know, but maybe someone else will be able to tell you.

Thanks for that info I was about to buy it and try it since I just can't find this info anywhere...doesn't ANYONE know what size the block threads are for a Z6? I need to get the head back on this thing and put back together.

M10 is all I found so far, via ARP's product catalog. I'm still lookin to see if I can find the thread pitch for ya too...

just get a metric tap and die set, hell I think you can even rent them from autozone

You said so you can put the head back on. So i am assuming you stripped out one of the holes for the head bolts. Take a head bolt up to your hardward store so you can find out what size and pitch it is. Then get the correct chaser.

If it was a head bolt that stripped out it might not be as easy as getting a chaser to fix it depending on how bad it is. This is why I use ARP head studs when I build a engine to avoid this problem all together.

If you tryin to chase a stripped thread, you might as well not wate your money on a tap, because that hole will never hold a torqued bolt again. Your gunna need to helicoil it to get it to hold pressure, and even then your gunna need to be careful with how much torque you put to it. If your just cleanin threads, then what I just doesnt even apply so dont worry bout it :)

Well see here's exactly what happened.

The headgasket blew, so I bought ARP head studs that's what I'm using.
I pulled out all the stock bolts with no problems.
Now when I was installing the ARP head studs, I was hand-tightening all of them first and there's just one that won't go in by hand, it sits more than an inch above the rest.

So I think the cheapest route would be to try the thread chaser. I'll take the bolt up to a store and find the pitch and see just what needs to be done.

Back