Buying It Swapped Already

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

92teg

Question, Let's say I want to buy a LS with a B16, how do I know for sure what B16 block It is? Dude said it was rated @ 160 and 111 as far as HP & TRQ, and claimed it was 1st gen. Besides the block number, which is just b16, the car has a Y1 , Pics of the motor make me think it's not that old, also what kind of paperwork should I aquire from dude pertaining to the swap? Do i have to tell the D.M. V.? Or just register it, Has anyone ever bought a car "pre swapped" and then had problems as far as emissions and registering it? :huh:

yea, it sux to live in cali sometimes. i wish i live outside of cali so i can put whatever the hell i want without having to think about the law.. ;)

maybe if your state didn't polute so much and start drifting off into the ocean you wouldn't have to worry about it

:lol:

j/k

Originally posted by 92teg@Mar 18 2003, 07:56 AM
Besides the block number, which is just b16, the car has a Y1 , Pics of the motor make me think it's not that old, also what kind of paperwork should I aquire from dude pertaining to the swap? Do i have to tell the D.M. V.?

I'm not hype on the idea of buying pre swapped cars,but you will need to as B said register the car,but before you even buy it you want to make sure that the motor is attached to that vehicle on the paperwork,doesn't Cali have laws reguarding motor swap registration in terms of making sure it isn't stolen?Also isn't that an illegal swap in Cali anyway?As far as the motor being older than the car?

Originally posted by 92b16vx+Mar 18 2003, 12:34 PM-->
@Mar 18 2003, 07:56 AM
Besides the block number, which is just b16, the car has a Y1 , Pics of the motor make me think it's not that old, also what kind of paperwork should I aquire from dude pertaining to the swap? Do i have to tell the D.M. V.?

I'm not hype on the idea of buying pre swapped cars,but you will need to as B said register the car,but before you even buy it you want to make sure that the motor is attached to that vehicle on the paperwork,doesn't Cali have laws reguarding motor swap registration in terms of making sure it isn't stolen?Also isn't that an illegal swap in Cali anyway?As far as the motor being older than the car?

i think what you're talking about is called getting it "reffed", not sure though.

If it just says B16 then its a JDM motor, isn't it?
as far as the tranny goes, any B-series tranny will bolt up to any B-series motor. I think the Y1 is from an ITR.

yea john, fred here. in cali, you can ONLY have a motor that is your year or newer, you should have documentation saying that your motor is legit as well. as far as jdm motors, you won't pass, no way it will.

i personally wouldn't buy the car preswapped. first off, you don't know what he fucked up in the engine already and two, just to have the piece of mind that you actually did the swap and work on your own. just my .02 cents.

Originally posted by ekPhred@Mar 18 2003, 02:08 PM
yea john, fred here. in cali, you can ONLY have a motor that is your year or newer, you should have documentation saying that your motor is legit as well. as far as jdm motors, you won't pass, no way it will.

i personally wouldn't buy the car preswapped. first off, you don't know what he fucked up in the engine already and two, just to have the piece of mind that you actually did the swap and work on your own. just my .02 cents.

i'm totally on the same page as ekPhred. I would never buy a car that has the swap already done unless it's a good friend and I trust them.

Originally posted by ekPhred@Mar 18 2003, 02:08 PM
as far as jdm motors, you won't pass, no way it will.

plz.. dont pass around the wrong info.. im not trying to make this another Cali Emissions Thread.. or jack this thread.. but.. you can pass them.

I could be wrong about that. i just had a buddy of mine that had a jdm b16 into his ef and he didn't pass. i thought that the jdm motors came with one less sensor as opposed to the usdm ones? sorry about that post, all i've been doing all day is go on the internet because i'm not doing jack shit right now and i'm half asleep at work. enlighten me on the subject.. thanx again, peace!

Back