By-passing ECU codes

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

peanut

I am running a PG7 and eversince my DP to MPFI swap. My ecu keeps throwing 2 codes. 13 and 20. 13 is baro sensor or atmospheric pressure sensor. 20 is Electical Load Detector. I only discovered that these two sensors are missing in my car, which is why I keep getting the two codes and the check engine light.

I live on very flat region with elevation no more than 100m in difference so I don't need the baro sensor. I am not sure about ELDs though, been running for years w/o them with my DPFI setup.

I can still drive around with my new MPFI setup with the check engine light on but I am worried the two codes can mask other engine problems in future.

Anyone, experienced, veteran or expert out there know how to bypass the two codes without fixing on those sensors.

Thanx.

Since the PG7 isn't easily chippable to run code that does not require PA or ELD, you will be required to install those sensors to run your PG7.

Originally posted by Joseph Davis@Dec 28 2003, 12:31 PM
Since the PG7 isn't easily chippable to run code that does not require PA or ELD, you will be required to install those sensors to run your PG7.

So where can I buy these sensors?

I understand ELDs usually come in the main fuse box package but is there any way to get it individually?

I also know that I need to 'trick' the pins on the ecu at B19 (ELD) & C9 (PA Sensor) but how do I do it. Anyone know the the V/I/R settings? Currently there are no wires running out from them.

You can dig an ELD out of the underdash fusebox of a USDM car, and while I don't know the PA's exact nature, I wouldn't be surprised if it were identical to the MAP.

There may be, and probably is, a way to spoof the ELD and PA inputs - but I've never tried and know of no one who has. They are probably just variable resistances that return a certain voltage back to the ECU - looking at component tests in a Helms manual should be revealing.

Try http://www.digitalhell.org/hybrid/ if you lack service literature.

and you CAN chip a PG7 by replacing the 40 pin MCU with another part. Must use a5-free code, see pgmfi for more info.

Originally posted by radnulb@Dec 29 2003, 03:43 PM
actually, there are hardware mods to disable each of these since hte PG7 uses the same board as the PM7+PM6...

PA http://www.pgmfi.org/phorum/read.php?f=12&i=2872&t=2872
ELD http://www.pgmfi.org/phorum/read.php?f=12&i=2673&t=2673

Thanks fellas,

The links are quite informative.

I understand the ELD disabling clearly, also located the BR1 component on my PG7 PCB. But I 'can't catch any ball' with the PA sensor disabling, should I add or remove D31 to disable the PA sensor? Where is D31 by the way? I've been looking for it for almost an hour. Anybody knows where is this diode D31 on the PG7 PCB?

Thanks!

Removed BR1 from my PG7 today and ecu error code 20 disappeared as stated.

However, due to the confusing statements about the PA sensor made on another forum. I removed D31 from my PG7 without any results but I still can drive around without it. Any other useful links about bypassing error code 13 for PA sensor?

Thanks.

Anyone know how to disable code 13 on the PG7?

I am finding I am running dammn rich. The bumper have sputters of carbon on them. The chk eng light is on due to a missing PA / Baro / Atmospheric Pressure sensor.

I posted this to the thread too, because it really wasn't that clear.

In order to make the code 13 go away, remove D31 and replace it with a wire link or zero ohm resistor.

Originally posted by radnulb@Jan 5 2004, 11:59 AM
I posted this to the thread too, because it really wasn't that clear.

In order to make the code 13 go away, remove D31 and replace it with a wire link or zero ohm resistor.

I do not have a PA sensor. I have tried removing D31 which looks like a wire with a black shielding and soldered a wire link in place of it. Code 13 is still on. I tried re-setting the ecu a few times by removing the plugs and trying again. Still code 13.

Any oversight?

I was wrong - misunderstood Andrew's statements. recheck thread on PGMFI.

You need an external PA sensor to make it go away, as well as the D31 link. You can find them on PK2 preludes (88-91), 88-91 CRX/Civic Si/HF (and DX too I thought?), 90 integra ....

Check and make sure your PA isn't fried / wiring issue.

Originally posted by radnulb@Jan 6 2004, 06:55 PM
I was wrong - misunderstood Andrew's statements. recheck thread on PGMFI.

You need an external PA sensor to make it go away, as well as the D31 link. You can find them on PK2 preludes (88-91), 88-91 CRX/Civic Si/HF (and DX too I thought?), 90 integra ....

Check and make sure your PA isn't fried / wiring issue.

It is missing from the start as the wire at ecu plug in C9 is empty. However, the D31 wire link was originally on my ecu which looks like a black roll around a wire.

However, before any soldering was done, I had to make sure whether your method worked. Strangely when I contacted a conductor on both points on D31, I must have accidentally contacted some other points. I manged to snuff out CEL13 which made me remove D31 and solder another wire link to it without succeeding in quenching CEL13 which made me wonder whether have I damaged the PCB around D31, fortunately not.

I believe CEL13 can be bypassed electronically but do not know or remember which component I had contacted to do so.

Back