CA SMOG help? OBDII Cat needed?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Domi31

OK I have a 97 JDM B18C-R swaped in my 92 hatch, did it about 3 years ago, but now really want a BAR sticker, lot of guys are getting there cars towed becuase they dont have it. My pop had a CHP customer at his shop and he was talking about how they are really going to crack down on honda engine swaps.:ph34r:

My question is this, do I need a OBDII cat, I know that smog equimpent needs to match the OBD of the car, I dont know if the 2nd O2 sensor is on the Cat itself or on the exhuast piping after the Cat. Can I get away with a OBDI Cat
I am starting to round up prices on parts so I could get my swap legalized.

What else do I need here is a list of what I think I need:

-need at new cat (OBDI or OBDII dont know which)
-USDM P73 (my JDM one wont work for smog)
-need to run a 2nd 02 sensor
-EVAP

I currently am using the JDM wireharrnes, would I need to switch to a USDM, or would they let me pass with my JDM harness and wires splicing into each other? If not Im trying to source a B16 or GSR harness.

**Note** if this is wrong thread to post in please fix thanks

I don't know alot about cali emissions, but here in NY, you only have to comply to the vehicle, not the engine.

if the car is obd1 shouldn't just the vehicle have to comply to the obd1 certification??
get a p28 ecu and get it checked?

You have to run it OBDII because there isn't an OBDI B18C5. So just get an OE Magnaflow cat, they're CARB legal and thus have the second O2 bung.

You might have to use a USDM intake manifold too but I'm not entirely certain on that. If you do, they'll tell you and you can make another appointment for a free retest.

Would a OBDII B16 mani bolt on my motor? I dont think I could find a USDM ITR mani
thanks

And does any one know how they look at how things are wired up, or does it matter on my Ref and how anal he his. Want to know if I sould pick up a USDM wire harness (I have the JDM one on)

Last edited:
yeah I too am looking in to getting legal in Cali. I just finished my swap and want to get it legalized asap. I figure a ref sticker will help me rest my nerves a little when on the road with a 200 swap!! :p

anyways there are a lot of good sites with the list of what you need.

Honda-Tech.com: Honda Civic/Del Sol (1992 - 2000): [FAQ] DIY: How to convert JDM intake manifold to USDM specs for smog ref.
Honda-Tech.com: Honda Civic/Del Sol (1992 - 2000): CA BAR Certified Honda's ONLY!!! PLEASE HELP!!

as I understand it, you need the usdm versions of a couple things you already have or they need to at least be CARB certified:

USDM ECU - I've heard people say sometimes the ref's don't always check...
USDM or CARB Intake Manifold (or use JDM Type R cause has hose)
USDM or CARB headers
USDM or CARB intake
USDM or CARB cat with O2 censor
all hoses need to be connected to proper locations

is there anything else?

The wiring harness should be fine. They mostly just check to make sure you didn't hack it all together.

Hey, you wanted a Skunk2 intake manifold, right? Of course you did. No, the B16 IM won't work for the Ref.

Shit I was just thinking this is what I will have to buy:p

Screw it I could get some money back by reselling my ITR manifold, cuz its mad JDM yo!!

Unless you actually did want to get one, see if the Ref will pass you with the JDM IM first. If not, you shouldn't have too much trouble selling it for most of the $230 a Skunk2 IM will cost.

I would run the one that gives me more performance, if I do have to change it, either way I will make most of my money back on selling the type r or reselling the Skunk2, from what I have read about other swaps most refs dont pass the JDM manis.

Back