California now the "least educated state"

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Ironically, California is not nearly as liberal as people think it is. Gay marriage was voted down, by popular vote, TWICE!

If left to a congressional vote, it would have been passed with flying colors.

pun intended? :D

WASHINGTON, June 10 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- In 1970, nine percent of California's population was comprised of immigrants; by 2008 it was 27 percent. A new report from the Center for Immigration Studies (CIS) finds that as a result of immigration, California now has the least-educated labor force of any state. Historically, California was not a state with a disproportionately large unskilled population, like Appalachia or parts of the South. However, immigration has transformed the state. Absent a change in immigration policy, other parts of the country may be transformed in a similar fashion.
Suddenly making bad ass shine isn't a skill?

had some shine when i was in WV once.... holy shit

guy asks me if i want a drink and pulls out a big ass 1 gallon clear jar
thinking to myself... "shit you cant turn this down... it takes some decent trust for someone to bust out the shine... and when am i guna get this chance again"
so i say, "yeah sure, ill have some... thanks"
he asks "ever had this before"
"no" (little scared at this point)
he pours like half a fucking juice tumbler full of the shit
now im really scared
he hands it over, "here ya go"
"thanks"
few other people get similar cups
glasses are raised to a simple toast
eyes started watering as the glass got closer to my mouth
purposely didnt sniff it before drinking it, but that didnt keep my nose from burning
that made my eyes sting and water more
fought off my second thoughts with a final thought of "well.... fuck it"
tossed it back and gulped..... HOLY FUCK IT TASTES LIKE BURNING
gag a few times
eyes watering like i just got maced
cough a few more times trying to catch my breath
full body shake "god damn!!"
everybody in the room is laughing their asses off at the "yankee boy" who "cant handle his liquor"

a friend's uncle also makes some "shine".... but he also ages it for about a year in charred oak barrels... so it ends up more of a ridiculously strong whiskey (160something proof)... it still burns like hell but its a lot more pleasant than that clear shit was...
by the second or third glass your nervous system has shut down for the most part and it starts to taste really good... its about then that you start to realize that its 120 degrees in the house and you cant remember where your legs are

good times :)

I've come across shine twice. Both times in NJ. Once it was actually from Kentucky, the other was an NJ home brew. Shit will put hair on your chest. The one kid liked to soak fruit in it. That was a damn good strawberry.

Kind of on the same topic, I was in the liquor store and came across a mason jar labeled "corn whiskey". Commercial label and everything, someone actually makes and distributes it. Clear liquid that is about 90 proof. Holy fuck my life this shit is terrible. 10x worse than homemade shine. I had a few shots thinking it would get easier... nope. After shot 6 or 7 still hurt like hell I decided it was a lost cause. I had the bottle in my fridge for over 2 years before it was finally gone.

had some shine when i was in WV once.... holy shit

guy asks me if i want a drink and pulls out a big ass 1 gallon clear jar
thinking to myself... "shit you cant turn this down... it takes some decent trust for someone to bust out the shine... and when am i guna get this chance again"
so i say, "yeah sure, ill have some... thanks"
he asks "ever had this before"
"no" (little scared at this point)
he pours like half a fucking juice tumbler full of the shit
now im really scared
he hands it over, "here ya go"
"thanks"
few other people get similar cups
glasses are raised to a simple toast
eyes started watering as the glass got closer to my mouth
purposely didnt sniff it before drinking it, but that didnt keep my nose from burning
that made my eyes sting and water more
fought off my second thoughts with a final thought of "well.... fuck it"
tossed it back and gulped..... HOLY FUCK IT TASTES LIKE BURNING
gag a few times
eyes watering like i just got maced
cough a few more times trying to catch my breath
full body shake "god damn!!"
everybody in the room is laughing their asses off at the "yankee boy" who "cant handle his liquor"

a friend's uncle also makes some "shine".... but he also ages it for about a year in charred oak barrels... so it ends up more of a ridiculously strong whiskey (160something proof)... it still burns like hell but its a lot more pleasant than that clear shit was...
by the second or third glass your nervous system has shut down for the most part and it starts to taste really good... its about then that you start to realize that its 120 degrees in the house and you cant remember where your legs are

good times :)
haha, great story; +rep

shine is pretty rough ill give you that!

it was a good story E_SolSi. i would share my first time trying it but i honestly cant remember it lol. growing up in the south you definitely run into it quite a bit (grew up in florida panhandle and then georgia for 10 years).... best shine i ever had was from north carolina... a friends dad was a truck driver and he would always pick some good stuff up when he went through. one thing i learned, the better shine tastes, the more its gunna fuck you up!

Back