Cam advice for b16a2 with auto tranny...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

JDMimportsol

Hi, i'm just looking for advice on which cams would be most suitable for a JDM del sol SiR with B16a2 and auto tranny. Would it be beneficial to go with cams of a higher lift rather than longer duration due to the lowered redline (7700rpm)? What are the OBX or the ssautochrome cams like? Any help would be much appreciated.

Stay away from ssautochrome and obx for anything, especially things that are going to be going into the engine. I'd upgrade to a set of gsr or itr cams. Or some crower or mild rocket cams. it's not a big deal that the redline is lower, most of your time is going to be spent below 7000 anyway.

thanks for the reply...what i would really like is some advice on the non-vtec lobes because with the car being an auto and only a 1.6l it really suffers from the lack of torque especially at low revs. Would higher lift non-VTEC lobes achieve this? The car already has a spoon ECU and i will be getting a Tanabe SMR with probably a 4-2-1 header (to increase low-mid range gains) along with an AEM CAI. If i go for the ITR cams would i need to upgrade the valvetrain because i believe the valve springs are single rather than dual? Are there any other mods you can recommend I have a budget of around £1-1.5k (~$2500)...

Most good cam manufacturers don't do a WHOLE lot to the non-vtec lobe, especially with the duration, as the duration matters more at high rpm, where high velocity intake charges will push more air in as the valve stays open longer. If you go with higher lift non-vtec lobe, don't go too high, or you risk lowering the intake velocity too much; then your idle will go a bit lopey on you. A little extra lift might help you out a bit though.

Last edited:
Any ideas which cams would be most suitable (give more lift non vtec) or should I just go with a set itr cams? One of the reasons the ssautochrome cams caught my eye (besides the price and the valve springs being included!) was the lift vs duration profile. Also, would raising the compression ratio via changing the head gasket be a beneficial install along with the cams?

Back