cam decision

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

powerdriverh22

Im trying to decide if i want to run the skunk 2 stage 2 tuner series cams, or the s2 pro 1's. im rocking stock jdm h22 bottom end, ported head (its not completly hoged out) with flat valves, skunk2 springs and retainers with a ported intake manifold, skunk2 68mm tb, and custom header.

my delima lies in streetability (this is my daily) and also if i have enough compression for the pro1's. from what i have read they have very similar profiles. Id like to know what some of you all think about your s2s2's and pro1's.

thanks

this head flows well through the midrange....and significantly better to 8k.

this is a used head and was used on an 11.2 sec car...its only got 10 miles on it.

as for flow bench numbers i dont have anyidea. they guy i bought it off didnt have that done.

well both cams are designed for max hp at the stock redline.....so im not sure where to go from here. the pro 1's i hear are very similar to the s2s2's....but im not sure about idle or if i have the proper amount of compression to optimize the pro 1's

It also depends on what kind of cam you want and what kind of driving you use this car for. Pro1s have different low cam loabes than stock and would require some tuning for idle and afr for just cruising. The tuner stage 2s use the factory low cam profile but the same vtec profile as the pro 1s so less tuning is necessary.

P.S. if its a daily driver I'd go with s2s2 cams personally.

But you don't know where the ported setup flows best. Picking the wrong cam profile can cause unwanted turbulence and a significant loss of potential power.

And the Pro series cams have more midrange which would be better for daily driving. Every setup should be tuned so that shouldn't even be a concern. Properly degreed cams, a proper tune at idle, and the engine will idle almost like normal. Thanks VTEC. ;)

Personally, I'd be looking at what more than one company with a big name has to offer. I'd be looking at Comp, Crower, Rocket, and the like.

i have and none of them are as appealing. rocket= not nearly enough info, crower=kind of weak, not going to run comp cams.

besides i have skunk2 valvetrain already, so id rather use skunk2 parts;)

Back