cams/springs/ retainers

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

formby

learning in progress
would CTR cams be a good choice for a F/I set up? i currently have a b16 int and a gsr exh cams

i know i need dual springs...but what about the retainers?

can i use oem ctr springs with a set of stg 2 and up cams?

and whats the deal with the lost motion assembly. can i use the b16 ones? (1999)

i dont want to waste my money but i would like to upgrade...is there a kit i could purchase? would a good port and polish be better... were would be the best place/brand?
any websites would be appriciated...

feel free to ad anything i missed (components)
thanks for the help :D

Ic an't help you on what you wanna know but I just got finished p&ping my LS head, Intake mani and TB. It's not too hard but it takes time, I just gasket matched the intake/exhaust ports on the head and Mani and bored the TB out a few mms. I can try to get some pics but they aren't gonna be good.

Titanium Retainers tend to uhmm roll the edges after a while and are considered "Wear Parts". However there is a process used to make em stronger to reduce the wear.

Dual Valves Springs are simply stronger/stiffer and allow for more Lift becuase they'll close faster and seal stronger.

CTR Cams, im not sure if they are good for FI but, if youre going to spend 450 on cams why not just get a set of cams and springs for an FI Set Up?

Originally posted by brian11to1@Dec 6 2004, 04:07 PM
Titanium Retainers tend to uhmm roll the edges after a while and are considered "Wear Parts". However there is a process used to make em stronger to reduce the wear.

Dual Valves Springs are simply stronger/stiffer and allow for more Lift becuase they'll close faster and seal stronger.

CTR Cams, im not sure if they are good for FI but, if youre going to spend 450 on cams why not just get a set of cams and springs for an FI Set Up?
[post=427177]Quoted post[/post]​

i am just concidering my options...i heard gsr cams are the best for F/I from the factory
when i bought my head it had no cams so i got one b16 and one gsr for free from my friend...
i runs okay but i am finalizing my turbo set up and would like to work on the internals of the head....

are the exh spring on a gsr dual... some one told me they were

Originally posted by 92civicb18b1@Dec 6 2004, 04:00 PM
Ic an't help you on what you wanna know but I just got finished p&ping my LS head, Intake mani and TB. It's not too hard but it takes time, I just gasket matched the intake/exhaust ports on the head and Mani and bored the TB out a few mms. I can try to get some pics but they aren't gonna be good.
[post=427172]Quoted post[/post]​

was there a big difference

gallery_28741_116_1102368338.jpg

The pic is terrible, the ports aren't all choppy and uneven as it looks in the pic.

Theres always a difference when you alter the flow. LS heads flow liek shit so it should make a noticeable difference. I haven't used this one but on my last swap I took off a few mms and noticed a change, this one I took it all the way to the gasket.

Originally posted by formby+Dec 6 2004, 04:12 PM-->
Originally posted by brian11to1@Dec 6 2004, 04:07 PM

i am just concidering my options...i heard gsr cams are the best for F/I from the factory
when i bought my head it had no cams so i got one b16 and one gsr for free from my friend...
i runs okay but i am finalizing my turbo set up and would like to work on the internals of the head....

are the exh spring on a gsr dual... some one told me they were

Im not sure... they may be. You'll have to wait for someone that knows to respond. I do know for a fact that ITR Intake and Exhuast Valve Springs are DUAL Springs. You can pick these up for something around $140. Im using Crower Dual Valve Springs with my Crower 62403's (these are non vtec cams, 63403's are VTEC cams you may want to check into.)

92civicb18b1
@Dec 6 2004, 04:32 PM
gallery_28741_116_1102368338.jpg

The pic is terrible, the ports aren't all choppy and uneven as it looks in the pic.

Theres always a difference when you alter the flow. LS heads flow liek shit so it should make a noticeable difference. I haven't used this one but on my last swap I took off a few mms and noticed a change, this one I took it all the way to the gasket.

They dont look to bad, if I still had my camera Id snap some shots of my head. Just make sure you clean that head really well to remove the shavings, but you knew that already, didnt ya?

there is this company that uses a frog in its ads they sell cams and TBs' are they any good (sorry i dont know the name)

grab a gsr Intake cam and call it a day.

if you're going turbo, i've seen gsr cams make countless cars push well over 500 hp

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Dec 7 2004, 12:01 AM
grab a gsr Intake cam and call it a day.

if you're going turbo, i've seen gsr cams make countless cars push well over 500 hp
[post=427433]Quoted post[/post]​

do you think that running 2 different cams can hurt my motor

Back