Can I use LS main caps on a B20 block?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

civicious

Buck Futter
VIP
Ok, I've got a B20Z block, and an LS crank and LS main caps. I know that the LS and B20 cranks are exactly the same, but can I use the LS main caps without any problems? I don't have the B20 main caps....

don't even bother, what you should do is trade me. 1 Ls shortblock for your b20z shortblock. I'm serious

The caps should fit, they're technically the same motor but the b20 has bigger bores.

thats what I was thinking, someone here told me that I couldnt use them. They bolt up fine and everything, so I dont know why they wouldnt...

:shrug2:

Will, dont chance it... you arent going to gain anything from it.

I've always been told not to mix/match main caps from other engines because of how they're cut, but I don't know if that's really a big deal. You might want to send the main caps out with the block to the machine shop and have them inspect them- if there's any kind of problem between the caps and journals, you could probably have them resurfaced or something. Then again, I'm talking out of my ass here... I don't know if you should use the other caps or not.

I emailed Jeff and golden eagle...someone should know.

If all else fails, I'll just send the caps with the block to golden eagle, and have them inspected or whatever.

They NEED to be align honed.

No ifs, ands or buts. The chances of all of the caps being perfect for that blocks casting is almost non-existant.

Any machine shop should be able to do it for cheap.

Originally posted by StyleTEG+Oct 23 2004, 07:48 PM-->
They NEED to be align honed.

No ifs, ands or buts. The chances of all of the caps being perfect for that blocks casting is almost non-existant.

Any machine shop should be able to do it for cheap.
[post=406631]Quoted post[/post]​

97CTR
@Oct 24 2004, 05:30 AM
ditto, align hone
[post=406700]Quoted post[/post]​

I knew styleteg would chime in on this one. In any case where you have to switch caps between different motors, whether it be cam caps or main caps, you have to get them align honed. Depending on how well you know the machinist that agrees to do that work for you, it might be cheaper just to get another block, that already has the main caps.

Back