can you make a h23 almost as good as a h22?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

lude9593

i've been pondering this idea and wanted to see what ya'll thought. there are probably more differences between the h23 and h22 than i am aware of but i think the main ones are of course the displacement, but also the h22 head flows better and has the higher profile cams for vtec, and a little higher compression. is that pretty much the only things that make the power difference? would a nice pnp job allow the h23 head to flow as well? would upgrading cams make up for the lack of vtec? and also maybe raising the compression? i've just been wondering if i should stick with my motor for whatever i end up doing (whether turbo, nitrous, n/a) or swap in a h22. thanks

You figure the h22 swap is gonna cost about 2700 installed. With the h23 you already have you can port and polish the head , add some gude cams , ferrea valves ,some aem cam gears, build the block up a little bit, add some aem pulleys , get a zex kit , and that thing would scream , and with the i/h/e clutch n flywheel u already have id say that h23 would gain a easy 30-40 whp with all that. You can also the gude ecu and tune it. throw down somewhere around 180 whp, then still have the 55 shot, you can do all that for 3 grand reliably, as with a turbo youd have to tune it and break stuff and fix stuff before you get right. That power would put the heavy lude some where in the high 13"s low 14"s not even using the zex. Just a Idea.

some h22 people do a block swap for the h23's bigger displacement so I'm guessing you could do a head swap.I know its been talked about here before.

i have never EVER heard of anyone with a working H22 head and block, stripping off the head, junking the block and going with an H23 block... EVER...

there are some people on honda-tech i believe that have used the H22 head on both F22 and H23 blocks... some people say it takes a lot of machine work, and some people get by doing hardly any machine work... depends on how good you are with motors...

the H23 is not meant to spin as high as the H22...
and i completely do not trust H23 lower ends, seen too many throw rods and spin bearings...
not a race block as far as i am concerned...

the higher compression makes a diffrence for overall hp, but the thing that really seperates the H22 from the H23 is that middle cam lobe for vtec...
its night and day on the H22... night and day...

and 2700 installed?
no way...
H22 long block for 1200, P13 for 300-350...
there you go... 1500 bucks and you got yourself a 40 hp gain, but no gain in torque...

my friend went from an h23 in his accord to h22... only diffrences were the motor, and the P13 ecu, and its a completely diffrent machine...
accords are ok with the f22, faster with the h23, and pretty damn fast with the h22, i would say they're really fast for an accord cause they are such a heavy car...

you can pnp your head, and get some more aggressive cams, but i don't think you're gonna be able to get the head to flow that well that it will compete with that vtec lobe...

Thats cheap route to go and if he doesnt know how to install its gonna be about 5-700 dropped in , so he is still looking at 2-2200 installed. if u want the h22 tranny its another 500 bucks. And what do u mean the h23 is not a race motor, Tell that to guys makin 500 hp on them daily.

H23 tranny will suffice...

if he can't do this swap then he's in the wrong game...

and compared to the H22 the H23 is NOT a race motor...

and i quarantee no one is making 500 hp on stock internals...
i'd be suprised if an H23 with stock internals could make even 300 hp for any reasonable amount of time without grenading on itself...

i never said they were on stock internals , there all built. There was some kid runnin around who was boostin a 200k h23 on 12 psi tryin to blowing up , it didnt blow for like 3 months, n thats with 200k miles reamin on it trying to blow up. h23"s are good motors.

well as far as my ability to do swaps...i've never done one. but i work a lot with my g/f's dad who has a shop at his house and we put in my clutch ourselves so i figure between me and him we could do a swap if necessary. i've always heard on here that h23's aren't that good of a motor but i figured if since i already have this motor, might as well stay with it. i think it will be fine with a conservative setup such as: pnp, valves,springs,etc.,bigger cams,intake manifold,and a 55 shot. but if i went to a bigger setup such as turbo, i'd build the bottom end on it. yeah, the h23's aren't as safe to take to high rpm's but i'm not real interested in having a rev monster either. i'm just thinking that i could make my motor almost as good if not better than a h22 all motor. thanks for yall's imput.

Back