cant find timing....help me

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

EWstryder

i tried using the stock timing mark in the crank pully and i tried wingin it but i cant find it. does anyone know any other way of finding timing? this is my dd and im gonna loose my job cause i have to commute 25 mile a day with not public transport around.:(

You need the light at an angle pointed at the crank. From the front of the car. just be patient and you'll find them. Or......worst case scenario.....just adjust it advanced a little (Idle raises when you advance...lowers when you retard). Go drive it and listen for a ping....if you hear a ping.....back the timing up a little (retard it). No ping....you are good to go.

Why are you needing to adjust timing? You make it sound like the car isn't running right

it wont start that the problem and everythin points to timing. i just had the head off to replace some gaskets and like a dumbass didnt set tdc or check if the markings for the pully were correct.

You need Mechanical Timing.....okay

Get everything ready to take the timing belt off but tensioner still tight. Take the Spark plug out of #1 (one near timing belt) and gently slide a long screwdriver down the cylinder until it rests on the piston. Turn the Crank and get the screwdriver to it Highest point and thats TDC for the bottom end. You should have some marks underneath that are lined up too. Where ever that is......leave the crank in that spot. Then loosen the tensioner and get the timing belt to slide off.

If you are DOHC....most important is marks on exhaust at 3 o'clock and intake at 9 o'clock and up marks are at noon. Slide the belt on. Tighten tensioner. Sometimes...the tensioner will cock the gears a little so....if this happens...re install cocked the other way to compensate. I have read this happening but not when I did it.

If its SOHC.....loosen and get off....make sure the up is at noon when you have tensioner tight

Back