cant get off my d15b7 crank pully

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

DO NOT LISTEN TO ANY THING ANYONE HAS SAID SO FAR! that is the wrong tool! that is for the 1.6L and up not for the 1.5L d15b7. i would know i have 2 93 civic with d15b7's in both. Honda has a crankpulley holder for the 1.5L d15b7 that cost like $270 and a braker bar that bolts to it for like $50-$70. i went to my local honda dealer and asked one of their mecanics how to remove the crank pulley and they told me about honda's little tool and then they told me to just use a chain strap wrench, a breaker bar of some sort and a pice of a broken or old rubber belt. wrap the rubber belt around the crankpulley and then use the strapwrench(becareful not to mess up your crank pullley or you might end up having to replace it) around the crank. then use a breaker bar of your liking to brace it aginst something so that it will not rotate. i will go back to honda and get the part numbers for the honda 1.5L crankpulley holder and have them up here later today or tomorrow.

Last edited:
correct... thank you for pointing that out
i edited my post above to reflect that that is the incorrect tool

here are a few links to the correct tool for the D15B7
SIRHO60-2.jpg

Honda Crankshaft Pulley Holder HEAD ONLY SIR-HO60-2

or this is the same one with the bar
SIRHO60-L.jpg

SIR Tools Honda Crankshaft Holder

and here is another that looks like the same company but comes with both types
15591091_3032761.jpg

SIR Tools HO70 Honda / Acura Counter Holder Kit

this one is more money but also comes with both types
OTC4732.jpg

OTC4732 Honda/Acura Crankshaft and Harmonic Balancer Holder OTC 4732 OTC Automotive Mechanics Tools

looks to be the same one matco sells for $100 more
MST4732.jpg

Vehicle Service, Drivetrain, Cam/Crankshaft Tools | Matco Tools Online Tool Catalog

have you tried putting the car in gear and having a friend jam the brakes... that should keep the engine from moving

again ive never had an issue getting them off with a decent impact gun

but if the impact you have isnt working or you only have hand tools
put the socket on the nut and use an extension or two to get the ratchet out to where you can work with it
support the extensions with a jack stand so you dont have to worry about everything staying lined up
then use a cheater bar and put some weight into it

heres a video... they have the pulley with the hex hole in it so they are using that tool... but they show how to use the jackstand
*warning* loud ass music
YouTube - Auto Repair - Honda Crank Pulley Tool Use

here is another method i found.... but i would be concerned with damaging the pulley
http://www.ht-archive.com/showthread.php?p=42527567

Last edited:
Back