Can't get rear suspension off...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Citizen_Insane

The bolt where the shock meets the lower arm of the rear supension won't come off. It turns, but all it does is BEND the fork at the bottom of the shock! :blink: WTF?? How should I get it off? I wanted to install my new Illuminas today, but that isn't going to work out now. The more I twist the bolt, the more the bends, I just WONT come out!!! Even after 5 full rotations the head of the bolt is still flush with the side of the fork! :

Example:

Before:
______
|........|
|........|]<---bolt head
|........|

After:

....______
.../..........|
../...........|]<---bolt head
/.............|

Pretend the periods are spaces.

I dont understand how the fork could bend. Just get 2 wrenchs of some sort on there and brake that bitch loose or off. And impact guns would be a good idea if you can, a couple of taps and it should come loose.

Hit the side that is bending with a hammer. Sometimes the bolts rust up inside the trailing arm and won't free themselves, or become gouged so there is a "lip it is hanging up on, so give it a couple whacks to nudge it in the right direction.

@UDT - can't do that, the nut that the bolt is threaded though is welded to the fork.

@93b16VX - I whacked it a good 10 times and it didn't do shit.....

@hcivic.com - can't do that either....the fork is attached to the shock, these are the rear shocks we're talking, not the front.

So, I continue to plead. Help? :(

same thing happened to me. the bolt has fused to the metal sleeve of the bushing from rust. its damn near imposible to break free. plan on cutting the shocks out of the car, by that i mean cut the forks, not the actual shock body. remove the rear LCA, get a new bolt and get a new bushing. thats what i had to do. it sucks.

The easy way to do that would be to unmount the shock from the car, unbolting the LCAs too, and do it on a bench instead of in the air, give yourself some space to work.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Nov 28 2004, 12:59 AM
The easy way to do that would be to unmount the shock from the car, unbolting the LCAs too, and do it on a bench instead of in the air, give yourself some space to work.
[post=423114]Quoted post[/post]​

LOL funny thing is , i told my self the same shit and i still have a front Hub/knuckle asem with LCA still conntected. Stupid lower ball joints. This shit spins with the nut. I think im gonna have to cut the ball joint. I have done enough of these things to come to the conclusion i dont think its coming off with out damage being done.

Back