car starts, then doesn't at random

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

well here is the thing,

all was perfect until, one super hot day last week

car wouldnt start, the fuel pump wouldnt prime with the key in the ON position
then when cooler outside it did.

MOST of the time, it starts, and once its on it runs fine and dandy

its just sometimes it wont prime the fuel pump

and it is not the relay, i changed it already

ive got an 1994 integra at my disposal for parts,
i think im gonna take the fuel pump tomorrow
any more ideas? ignition switch...??? i dont know what else to do???

Hmmm, really donno mate same thing happens to me.
I `think` it could be the dizzy though but not sure.
OR maybe the starter`s life is passing by .. make sure u`re battery is well charged though. Thats the first thing you should check

Originally posted by henshinJDM@Jul 25 2005, 08:32 PM
well here is the thing,

all was perfect until, one super hot day last week

car wouldnt start, the fuel pump wouldnt prime with the key in the ON position
then when cooler outside it did.

MOST of the time, it starts, and once its on it runs fine and dandy

its just sometimes it wont prime the fuel pump

and it is not the relay, i changed it already

ive got an 1994 integra at my disposal for parts,
i think im gonna take the fuel pump tomorrow
any more ideas? ignition switch...??? i dont know what else to do???
[post=531033]Quoted post[/post]​

I don't what the problem is, but I have the same situation some times. If my assumption is correct, the car turns over fine, but the motor won't start. Essentially I believe that it is vapour lock, or hydro lock, someone can explain hydro lock to you if you want, I don't know if my explanation is correct, but to FIX the problem, I guess temporarily b/c the car only does it intermittently is to open up the fuel cap. You'll hear all the fumes escape, therefore stopping the hydrolock, and the car should start.

i dont know this is retarded,

im going to take the integra fuel pump at 4pm and see if it fits

i switched the main relay

its not as bad when its cooler, and i know what vapor lock is, that does make sense, i guess ill try whatever-maybe from being so hot lately?

ill keep you guys posted on whats going on

Mine used to do that, I changed absolutely everything on it, but it ended up being the coolant temp sensor. Maybe check the voltage on that to see if it's working right.

thanks man

it is NOT:

-main relay
-fuel pump
(i put an integra pump on)

Check your IACV. When mine got clogged the car would start one day and then wouldn't for a couple. Replaced fuel pump,dizzy,fuel filter,spark plugs,main relay.......
I even had a mechanic look it over before I tried this. Give it a look, can't hurt and isn't too hard to get to.
This happened in my 91 teg w/ b18b1 swapped in. Bought it that way.

i was gunna say main relay since it only happens when it hot but u changed that, did you buy it new or used? also check all your fuses under your dash, and under the hood.. also check the Click the connects to the main relay sometimes the wires pull off. its the way honda made the main relays... but can you explain more on whats happening is it cranking at all? or is it the fuel pump just wont prime>?.. i mean my car was doin that when it was hot or if i was on hills it wouldnt start wouldnt prime for nuttin either until it was started then it would do it about 5 times until i drove the car, changed the fuel pump to a walbro 255 and it wouldnt prime ended up bein the main relay,

i know everyone is gonna say im crazy, but its a common problem for civics and accord to act like this. the probable cause: most car owners keep a shit load of keys, emblems, trinkets and other bullsh!t on their keyrings, and what happens is that over time the weight of these objects wears out the outer half of their 2 piece ignition. once this happens, it loses contact at any given time, causing an incomplete circuit to the relay. 4 out 5 cars suffer from this. i once read somewhere that the honda ignition was designed to only support like 4 ounces or some wierd crap like that.

Originally posted by evoracer03@Aug 27 2005, 04:11 AM
i know everyone is gonna say im crazy, but its a common problem for civics and accord to act like this. the probable cause: most car owners keep a shit load of keys, emblems, trinkets and other bullsh!t on their keyrings, and what happens is that over time the weight of these objects wears out the outer half of their 2 piece ignition. once this happens, it loses contact at any given time, causing an incomplete circuit to the relay. 4 out 5 cars suffer from this. i once read somewhere that the honda ignition was designed to only support like 4 ounces or some wierd crap like that.
[post=545929]Quoted post[/post]​

yea i heard of that be4... i only got 4keys besides my car key and my alarm... i should have my girl read this..

Damn!! My car just did this last week. I cranked and cranked, even tried to push start it... (I knew that wouldn't work, but...) Once I moved it into the shade and let it sit for about an hour, it started right up. Wierd!

Back