1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cars to have Manditory "Black Boxes"

Discussion in 'Members' Lounge' started by Cashizslick, May 27, 2011.

1. Cashizslick

Cashizslick !i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!

Sweeeeet. Now all cars are going to get gps trackable black boxes by the end of the year.

Autos Insider | U.S. to propose mandatory vehicle 'black boxes' | The Detroit News

2. Battle Pope

Battle Pope New Member

I read "proposed" and "devices already in use" and immediately stopped caring.

3. Matts96HB

Matts96HB . Moderator VIP

why are we spending money on this?
    :disgust1:

4. TurboMirage

TurboMirage YEEAAAHHH VIP

we'll fucking see about that.

5. reckedracing

reckedracing TTIWWOP VIP

theoretically - we are spending money on this so they can better investigate and determine the cause of an accident...

unofficially, its just another way to track us and pin us to crimes we may have, or may have not committed /tinfoilhat

6. 99sidude

99sidude Moderator Moderator VIP

Just more ways your government is making cars more expensive.

-Soon ALL cars will be required to have a backup camera. Camera + monitor +circuitry&controls = $$$
    -The average new car has over $1000 in precious metals for the catalytic converters. That is the automaker's cost.
    -Goverment comes up with new crash test modes every year. Latest are roof crush (simulate falling off a brige and landing on roof), and offset pole (sliding sideways into tree at high speed). Everyone wants that "5 Star" rating, so cars coming out will have pounds and pounds of extra steel. That is good for cost and FE.... A "5 Star" rated car 4 years ago would not meet the latest min. allowable crash regulations...

Let darwin do his work

/rant

7. reckedracing

reckedracing TTIWWOP VIP

^^^ lmao, so young and yet so jaded

8. GSRCRXsi

GSRCRXsi Super Moderator Moderator VIP

i didnt see anything about GPS tracking?

and since its already in use in some forms in a lot of cars, and probably just records 30-60s of data and just keeps overwriting itself with the newest data. doesnt really seem like a big deal IMO.

but i am against the "automation" of some aspects of cars. i dont want a car that drives itself. i dont want a car that takes the fun and control away from the driver.

9. invisibledemon

invisibledemon Bored Moderator VIP

i approve this post, 100%

we are becoming the minority, most people see driving as an inconvenient daily task.

personally, i think we should go back to the standards of the pre 90's

want to be safe? dont crash. somebody else hit you? tough, thats part of the game.

10. E_SolSi

E_SolSi Member of the 20 nut club Moderator VIP

11. Cashizslick

Vehicle velocity is one of the main things these boxes are going to look out for.

If the boxes dont have GPS initially, they soon will. Here’s why:

1.) Velocity can be determined by the vehicle’s spedo, however determining it via GPS is more accurate.
    2.) If the box is ejected from the vehicle, it can easily be found with GPS.
    3.) The government already has GPS in your phone but not everybody brings their phone with them. Your car is next on their list. After they get your car, its your body they’ll be after . . . (this will probably take a while).

12. invisibledemon

not really, all they have to do is put out a scare tactic for everybody to get in line for a "immunization" and put a small microchip in there and say the pain was from the huge needle going in your ass.

Measles Outbreak

or drop one in during a surgery.

and then, start putting that shit in right after birth when the doctors have the baby away from the parents already. wouldnt take long for everybody to get one without knowing it.

13. Cashizslick

I think its a stretch to believe that we all are chipped and nobody knows it.

/ot

14. GSRCRXsi

GSRCRXsi Super Moderator Moderator VIP

if youre all that paranoid, go get checked for nanochips. youre probably already bugged!

15. invisibledemon

i dont believe we are, just that it wouldnt be hard for them to do so if they choose.

16. Cashizslick

Having people do something voluntarily is easier than forcing them to do it. The way to get people to do something is to make it look like a good idea.

People voluntarily put all their personal information into a database because they think its a good idea (social networking). They are about to give google all their financial info because it also looks like a good idea (smartphone nfc pmt scheme). Same with these boxes. They will be pitched to the public as a great idea that saves lives and proves innocence during an accident.

17. Briansol

Briansol Admins Admin VIP

The trick is to hide your black box when you crash so the FAA can spend 10 months looking for it at sea :ph34r:

18. EGProject

EGProject YEEEEAAHHHHH

I think its more to standardize the data and how to read it than to put us-gov regulation boxes in every car. However, I do see someone coming up with the genius plan that if you keep an actual "black box" in your car, you pay less for insurance/taxes. But that opens the door for big brother and mileage taxation.

19. Matts96HB

Matts96HB . Moderator VIP

yeah, and mileage taxation has already been in discussion, has it not?
    the only positive i can see from this is locating a car after it has been stolen.
    however; youd need some police that are interested in more than meeting their traffic violation quota for the month in order for this to be an effective means of recovering a stolen vehicle before it is damaged.

20. invisibledemon

if there is a wire, there is a means to bypass.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted