catalytic converter, Cali Smog

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Domi31

I have decided to stop messing with my acura and focus on my civic. Civic has been sitting because a lack of funds, but now I live back with parents:(, so no rent so I could use my money on usless BS. But before I can do anything to my Civic I must get pass the Smog Check here in Cali.

This involes putting back in my Sohc motor, and I am rounding up parts so I could get it smoged, just bought a new oem clutch (traded my old tranny to my sis, and took here failing one, old clutch got thrown away).
Next I need a cat for it. But have a few questions.

Will a highflow work for Cali Smog?
Also would you trust one from the junk yard? Or a used one?
Would a OBDII cat work as long as I plug the second O2 tap?

I don't think you'd have to reinstall old motor. CA checks the emissions for the engine, not the chassis.

Hi-flow cat may work as long as position isn't changed from stock and it's certified CA legal.

Junkyards are not allowed to sell used cats....neither is anybody else. If you can get your hands on one it's your call. If you fail smog, you'll still have to spring cash for a new one anyway.

OBDII cat? Don't know about that one. My smog experience limited to OBD0.

My only other advice here is to check out smogcheck.ca.gov for financial assistance. I applied and got $500 in 'smog related' repairs done for free...including a new cat.

I don't think you'd have to reinstall old motor. CA checks the emissions for the engine, not the chassis.

they check.. trust me, i tried to pull a fast one on a smog tech.. and they caught it.. told me to have it BAR'd and they could smog it

nope... motor swaps arent legal in CA.. unless you get it BAR'd as i did.. they check the engine code to see if the motor was available in the car ... if it wasnt they'll turn you away most of the time..

Hope I'm not threadjacking here, but could you possibly explain the process of getting the swap BAR'd? Or maybe just point us in the right direction so I can look it up myself?

That'd be thuper.

all this # (800) 622-7733 make an appointment to see the ref about an engine change.. they'll inspect it for $30 and tell you what needs to be changed in order for it to be legal.. they'll also smog the car there.. if you pass everything, which isnt very likely you pay another $8.50 for smog certificate and you're smog legal.. if you fail, you get a free retest and inspection.. so before you go back, fix what it is that they tell you to fix and schedule another appointment..

It can be costly to get it Bar'ed, especially when its a JDM motor.
I had an apointment when I first put the motor in and the ref ripped into me.

-He wanted me to run the USDM ITR ECU (this would require me to buy a USDM VTEC solinoid because JDM's dont have VTEC oil press.)
-Up grade to a OBDII cat
-Needed to add the 2nd 02 sensor
-Change the Intake manifold to USDM spec
-And said I needed to change my wire harness to US spec (i am using the JDM one)

just a USDM ITR ecu is hard to find not to mention expensive, along with a wire harness, and a new Intake mani.
I do one day want it bar'ed but for a car I only drive like 3 times a month manly to the track, I just dont know if it is worth the money. I rather throw some cams in it and get tuned and be a weekend car, not my DD. and once cams go in the car, I'm screwed in the Smog department anyway.
Right now swaping motors is cheaper.

the only reason I need tags for this car is because I dont have a trailer, and would not want to trail a 14sec car to the track in the first place. Nearst track is an Hour away.

Last edited:
didnt realize you only drive it 3 times a month.. but yes it is costly, and for a daily driver i think its totally worth it.. i had to find a USDM p30 ecu and manifold... it wasnt easy and i paid a pretty penny for the ecu.. thats why i'm keeping it..

Hell, I had to find a specific P28 for my swap. He admitted he was "splitting hairs" about it, too. But, I guess running an automatic ECU in a manual car is kind of a give-away that the ECU's chipped. :D

Back to the cat, I'm running a Magnaflow cat and the Ref didn't say anything about it.

If you don't get your swap BAR'd, you might get your car crushed for having an illegal swap.

And, on a side note, if you're back with the parents...don't waste your money. Take real advantage of the situation and save your money.

I think they were only smashing cars with stole parts. But I also have heard because JDM motors have diffrent vins or none or something like that. I really need to look into that some more, to protect myself. So I should only get a ref ticket.
But I have talked to CHP officers, and they can only pop the hood with probable cause, i.e street racing, speeding w/ fart can (guess that shows them your mondified, lol). If they pull you over just to pull you over they have no right to do a search. So as long as you stay clean our cars should be fine. You will only find me racing at Sac. or Infinion.

Yes I know about money situation, If I were smart I would not be putting shit into a car, but we are all stupid for putting money in any car, but we must have are fun. I open and IRA account so in reality I'm investing, (only 50 a month but it's something). I will also be graduating from CSU Stanislaus next year.
Dam, Blanco, I didnt know you cared so much:p

I'm just that kind of a guy. :D

Actually, your exhaust is probable cause to pop your hood. A cop can argue that the modified exhaust led him to believe there was a modified engine. Happened to the kid down the street from me. For that fact, all a cop needs to pull you over is to see you looking at him really nervous. Cops also try to trick you out of both your 4th and 5th Amendment rights so you rat yourself out and make their jobs easy.

I don't honestly think what happened down in SoCal will happen up here...yet. But it's on its way considering what's been going down in Sac.

Your right, it is getting bad up here some what. Its from the high shcool deaths back in June from racing in Elk Grove, there was like a 500,000 dollar grant given to the PD, so they can spot "racers," you know hondas. Luckly I live two countys down but I'm sure it will get bad here to. Maybe I should get it bar'ed:mellow:.

i would suggest it.. but of course i suggest it to everyone.. it just gives me peace of mind when a cops driving behind me

Back