Catback Bad?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Catback is just a name for an exhaust system that replaces everything behind the catalytic converter. as long as you don't get a huge pipe diameter, you can replace your exhaust system and it'll help your car run better.

Running no cat or a straight cat might hurt...depends on what you have done to your engine. if it's stock, it might. but if it's turbo'd or whatnot it would help to flow better, and increase the power.

low back pressure is good in some cases and bad in others, it you want low RPM performance then you want a little more back pressure, if you want High rpm performance you want less B/P, the reason is that low rpms need to use velocity to get the exhaust out while high rpm doesnt in really kind of just pours out so high flowing exhaust works really good. That is why you should always match the flow of you compnents such as your intake, throttle body, intake manifold, cylinder ports, cam, header/manifold, cat, and catback. so really it matters on what your motor is set up to do. :wacko:

the whole backpressure thing is an internet myth, kinda like the LS tranny is better for boost.....

SOME is good to have, as it will help with some low end power, but up top, its all about high flow and little restriction. think about where you are in your rev range when you are racing, on it, etc.... up top. loosing 2-3 horse down low to gain some up top is worth it to me. is it to you?

all these gay ricers that drive eclipes and cavileirs and neons in my town keep trying to tell me that since there is no back pressure the motor will "blow up". All i have on the car in intake, catback, and plugs and wires.

Just having an intake and cat-back is fine! I had it on my old civic and never had a problem. You loss power in the low end but gain it back in the high end! If people told you that your engine will blow tell them they are fuckin retarded!!

Backpressure helps with tq.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Oct 22 2003, 12:21 PM
the whole backpressure thing is an internet myth, kinda like the LS tranny is better for boost.....

Not a myth, there is a such thing as backpressure, and it does affect performance, but depending on who you ask, it is good, or it isn't.

But since your engine is essentially a big air pump, it has to have something to help it scavange the spent gases, and that is backpressure. When you boost a motor, it no longer relies on it's own devices to remove air said gases, as they are being forced through, and the faster the better. Hence running a bigger exhaust on a turbo is better, and smaller ones that help direct exhaust pulses out of the n/a engine is better, but the header will play a crucial role in this too.

lose the cat, your not going to lose power on a stock motor particullary since you have the factory header i assume

to be in danger of hurting your engine, you'd have to run open an header. then you would have to worry about the cool outside air getting into your compression chamber and making your engine go BOOM.

Back