Catback Exhaust

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

where is the cheepest catback? and what do you guys reccomend for budget buyers?

buy a universal muffler and go to a muffler shop and have them bend you pipes.
other than that.. if you are really really cheap... nopionline.com and get a paceshitter

Yeah there is a cat back out there by pacesetter thats really cheap. Like 179 dollars or something around there. I read an ariticle about installing one on a staurn. They said it fit fine and sounded nice but the reason it was so cheap was because of the horrible matierial they use to build it. (i.e, cheap hangers, paint...etc) My friend just ordered one for his Del Sol. Hasn't come in yet.

my friend has a paceshitter on his integra ... it sounds ok... doesnt even look too bad .... but it fucking rusted like crazy within a year

Save your money for a quality catback. You might get a deal now, but when it rusts out and needs replacing you will wish you went ahead and spent the money on a good quality unit. Remember bro, you get what you pay for. ;)

well in my area (orlando,fl) most people take there cars to superior mufflers, guy does awesome work . almost a mandrel bend full cat back for like 75-100 bucks plus what ever your muffler costs. shit doesnt rust.
if you can, save up for a nice cat back even though most of them arent worth the cash.

Another good idea is to call around to performance shops and ask if they have any sitting around. That's how I found my 5zigen. This guy had it laying around collecting dust and told me to make an offer...I said 200 and I got it. The 5Zigen Fireball catback usually goes for a little over 500 and this one was only a little dusty.

On cheap but still good set up would be to purchace a ES oval muffler ($99 at alot of places) then go to a muffler shop and have them bend the pipes. Compression bends are cheaper but are not the best for performance (makes piping not = all the way through) Mandrel bending is what good quaility cat backs are. These kinds of bends are even all the way through so that way you have optimum performance

BTW, stay away from pace shitter stuff. Basicly an APC knock off.

I dunno if this works but one of my friends has a homemade exaust using 2.5" (steel i think) piping. The muffler is acutally two motorcyle mufflers with a fitting that redirects the exaust.

Originally posted by K2e2vin@Mar 13 2003, 09:52 PM
I dunno if this works but one of my friends has a homemade exaust using 2.5" (steel i think) piping. The muffler is acutally two motorcyle mufflers with a fitting that redirects the exaust.

Do you mean he has dual exhaust? 2x exhaust sucks unless you have a v style engine. With hondas, they dont produce enoghf back pressure to get any benifits from 2x exhaust. If you want to go good, buy a thermal cat back. They are great quaility.(500ish)

Its a i4 accord. Its goes from the cat and splits into two mufflers. The mufflers are pretty small, They were made for a 1L(or somewhere around there) bike. well after the mufflers it goes back into one pipe and thats the final destination. The mufflers are turned sideways if you are wondering, they arent configured like most cars.
cat mufflers
|| ----------
=====<=====>===
---------- ||
/ \
|_| Tip

i can not follow that for some reason. Try using MS paint then upload the image to your gallery then post it here.

Heres a little diagram i drew(spl?) to try to help you figure it out.
s3e714d7294607.jpg

How does it run and sound? Did he lose any trq from it? Biggest problem i see with that is the y sections would possibley decrease flow.

Originally posted by vtecsir1@Mar 13 2003, 01:13 AM
well in my area (orlando,fl) most people take there cars to superior mufflers, guy does awesome work . almost a mandrel bend full cat back for like 75-100 bucks plus what ever your muffler costs. shit doesnt rust.
if you can, save up for a nice cat back even though most of them arent worth the cash.

Where's he at bro? I got a mugen muffy and am lookin round for some custom piping.

Originally posted by TRuggiero_+Mar 13 2003, 11:54 PM-->
@Mar 13 2003, 01:13 AM
well in my area (orlando,fl)  most people take there cars to superior mufflers, guy does awesome work . almost a mandrel bend full cat back for like 75-100 bucks plus what ever your muffler costs. shit doesnt rust.

Where's he at bro? I got a mugen muffy and am lookin round for some custom piping.

he is on forsyth rd off of university blvd in winter park , superior mufflers. this is orlando,fl im talking about.

The exaust is very loud, overall a nice sound. as far as power goes i dont know. we dont have much dynos around here, in fact, i dont even know of one. the y-section after the muffler is acutally longer than it looks in the picture, it joins right at the tip.

IMO mandrel bending is unnecessary unless you are pushing 200+hp. the crimps in shop-bent pipes are not that bad. the crimped diameter on my 2-1/4" pipes looks only about 1/4" smaller, and i got the pipes and dynomax muffler installed for only $120 at a local muffler shop.

Back