CEL-Cylinder 3 Misfire

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

05X

I have a 99 turbo LS civic and I uninstalled it back to stock because I need to smog it. It is BAR'd and should pass fine, but I'm now getting a CEL. It's a code 73 (Cylinder 3 misfire). I didn't have a CEL with the turbo on previously. The timing is back to stock. I plugged in the O2 sensor. I converted the injectors back to OBD 2 stock LS and I have a feeling it's one of the injectors because I accidentally dropped one. The bottom circumference of the injector where it squirts fuel is cracked. Would that be the cause of the CEL? I checked the third injector from the left and that one didn't have the crack. The first one did. Does the order matter? What do you think is the problem?

So where is Cylinder 3? To clarify, the plastic part of the injector is cracked. But, I swapped it out with another and cylinder 3 misfired again.

The cylinder closest to the driver's side is #1.

So the injectors are spraying properly and you're still getting a misfire? Check spark.

So which one is cylinder 3 looking at the engine from the front? I probably need to check that particular injector.

So it's the 2nd one from the left facing the front? I'll check that injector. Sorry, I have to ask because I hear crazy stuff about the order of which cylinder is which on cars. :huh:

Thanks for the info, bro. I'll check it out and try swapping that injector to another location and see if the cylinder misfires at another cylinder.

I didn't get a chance to take a look at the second injector from the left, but I took a picture of an injector that seems to be working okay. Is this bad or does it need to be replaced?
IMG_3579.jpg

IMG_3581.jpg

I was always taught this... If you drop an injector, you can just throw it out because it will not function properly. You can always test the injector for continuity when it is removed from the car, and sometimes, just sometimes, it will be operative.

Well, I figured it out. One of the wires to the 2nd injector (3rd cylinder) was loose. I extended the wire. Yikes! So the injectors were fine, just the wiring. Thanks for everyone's help.

Back