Celerity's Wagon

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Just get a Duece and a Half. Multi-fuel engine that runs on used motor oil? Every abandoned pick-up is a gas station. Hell, an abandoned car dealership could keep you in fuel for a good long while.

If you are considering one, check out the vids on Youtube. They do prove that they are easy to maintain. Most everyone I talk to that has had one, comments that it goes forever even when it shouldn't. Read: It'll never be mint, but it will always run.

My commute is 130 miles each way, and my car does it with very little problem. I just can't figure out why it's so goddam slow these days.

I'm not preparing for the apocalypse. I'll be a pirate, stealing from others who already have. I made this decision awhile ago.

Being in New Jersey, that's tolerable. They have setup an environment where no one has any weapons to defend themselves. Just keep on that side of the Delaware, and you'll be fine.

Unfortunately, the Post Apocalyptic car will have very limited use. Casting cost on a vehicle after any kind of collapse (even the common collapses) is VERY costly. But it's nice to have around if you save up some fuel and get from your bad area to a better area - or significantly closer to a better area, and then park it or barter it.

Once I have acquired the necessities here, then maybe I'll venture south.

Good luck with that. Are you familiar with the phrase "Refugee Status"?

Other states won't have you, or me, or anyone. Watch how fast borders are put up and enforced. During the Balkanization of Europe, and the break-down of Russian relations in Bulgaria, to get across the border you typically lost everything. My friend's dad recalls running across the border naked as his brother was gunned down just over his shoulder.

Nasty stuff.

But anyway, this isn't the thread for that talk.

I've been searching around looking for more subaru goodies. Trying to track down an RX4 Turbo for the wife. That car was neat. 10 speed manual trans, AWD and a turbo 1.8. Great balance too.

No. Those are the XTs. Terrible, terrible cars. The 4WD system is switched on with the WIPERS.

The two speeds that are engaged are in the transmission. The rear is very standard.

You can actually piece the subaru transmissions together to make whatever combination you want. The low and high (dual range) part is a slice that goes on the back of the transmission. It's basically all there is to the AWD system. When it's locked (not selectable in 2WD) that means there is a viscous coupling (Like all modern Subarus) The parts will go together (for the most part, the 5 speed is kinda wierd in it's case size, so it interferes with the pushrod that knocks it out of 4 WD, so the RX4 and later models are usually just locked AWD with open diffs). You can play around. If you're at a parts yard, check one out. It's pretty innovative, and yet retardly simple.

Wish you weren't sooo far away.
I know a brat just sitting at a landscape yard.
There is another yard here that's about 40-50 acres and I think he's got a couple wagons. Maybe a brat too!
don't know much about them at all except that i wanted a brat back in the 70's on our landscaping farm..

PM me if you want. If it's small and can be taken off fairly easily, I MIGHT get it fer ya. He's a little high on prices. That's why he's got soo many.
OH, im just under Memphis. (Usually NO rust, just mold/corrosion)
E

Yeah, when I get the money I would totally make that trip. These cars are worth it - especially in the rust belt.

Lost 4th gear.

Luckily, I have another transmission. Unluckily, it's 2 states away in my storage bin. And it ain't fittin' in the Mustang.

Back