Ceramic vs. Stainless Steel

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

guitarjon

I know this should go under a different forum, but I don't have the available rights to post it.

What's the difference between Ceramic headers and Stainless Steel headers? I've heard that both do a good job, but i'm unclear. What're the pro's and cons?

A Stainless Steel Header is just that made of Stainless Steel most likley 304 or 306 as it's less prone to oxidizing and rusting.

as far as A Ceramic header I think you've been misinformed. A ceramic header is a Ceramic "Coated" Stainless Steel header. Ceramic is to brittle and very expensive to machine it can't be used by itself. or some new technology is out there and I'm not up to speed on it.

In any case A Cermaic Coated Header has a lot less heat conductance compaired to Metals.

Originally posted by CRX-YEM@Feb 9 2005, 02:48 PM
A Stainless Steel Header is just that made of Stainless Steel most likley 304 or 306 as it's less prone to oxidizing and rusting.

as far as A Ceramic header I think you've been misinformed. A ceramic header is a Ceramic "Coated" Stainless Steel header. Ceramic is to brittle and very expensive to machine it can't be used by itself. or some new technology is out there and I'm not up to speed on it.

In any case A Cermaic Coated Header has a lot less heat conductance compaired to Metals.
[post=458504]Quoted post[/post]​

So, really, what you're saying is that Ceramic has a reduced amount of heat radiance, but it's more breakable, whereas true Stainless Steel is more durable, but gives off more heat....

I've heard a few times on this site of people complaining of stainless steel headers (once from DC Sports) breaking, so i'm confused as for which way to go.

I've also seen that ceramic coated headers are cheaper than true stain. steel, so what's up?

Yeah A ceramic coated header (usually coated on the inside and outside of the header) will hold the heat inside the tubing and keep underhood temperatures lower.

Stainless if it gets to damn hot and a poor weld at the seems could fail.

Ceramic coated headers are typically not stainless steel, hence they are usually a bit cheaper. Also the thermal conductivity of stainless is approx 1/4 that of mild steel, which is used in the manufacture of ceramic coated headers. Stainless is also typically stronger, provided the welds are done correctly.

So then, if I wanted to buy a new exhaust header for my car, the best option (regardless of price) would be to get a stainless steel header with the white thermo-wrap crap? Or might it actually be worthwhile to get a ceramic coated?

Originally posted by guitarjon@Feb 10 2005, 08:52 AM
So then, if I wanted to buy a new exhaust header for my car, the best option (regardless of price) would be to get a stainless steel header with the white thermo-wrap crap? Or might it actually be worthwhile to get a ceramic coated?
[post=459002]Quoted post[/post]​

Do what you think is best. A good stainless header will always last longer, not to mention look better, than a ceramic, and will sell for more used, provided it is a good quality product. Stainless is also a smoother finish on the insides of a pipe, and promotes better flow. The wrap isn't a big deal unless that extra 1 degree of temp difference is gonna make or break you. if anything, just go get some of that home a/c insulation wrap, and wrap your intake with it. Only people with turbos have a valid use for that thermal wrpa on thier exhaust, because the turbine wheel literally causes a backup in flow behind the wheel, and allows more heat to get trapped in the header.

Originally posted by guitarjon@Feb 10 2005, 11:52 AM
[post=459002]Quoted post[/post]​

I myself if in the same situation would buy a stainless steel header and send it off to air born coatings and have the header ceramic coated inside and out.

and if you can tell that what you want it coated with... disregarding cost...

partially stabilized zirconia... about 8wt% Yttria (Y2O3) in zirconiz (ZrO2)
basically what it does is stabilize the zirconia in its cubic form which is one of the best heat resistant coatings available

Back