Check Engine Light diagnositcs

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

dlwiii

The check engine light is on and I want to diagnose the codes.
This is 1993 Civic 1.5L 16 valve. I searched on the forums and am told that there is a switch to find under the glovebox.

I cannot find any such thing. Does anyone have a photo or diagram? It is unclear what it looks like and where under the glovebox it should be. It is next to the passenger door? Is it toward the firewall?

yes there will be a green rubber cover thing holding two sets of plugs. One is a two wire plug and the other is a three wire plug. You will need to jump the two wire plug with the car off. Then turn the key to the on position and count the engine light flashes..

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I do not see anything that looks like that. I am going to try attaching some photos. These are from the passenger side, under the glovebox.

Here are the pics - I hope this works!

First one is toward the right (toward the passenger door)

80sS0p_9rFvdonh62f30-qbgGXbPiAFllZWGj9npeyU

Second one is toward the left (center of the car)

ul8t1K1FUWCXVXeirjV4h6bgGXbPiAFllZWGj9npeyU

Third is toward the right, lower down, under the carpet.

80sS0p_9rFvdonh62f30-qbgGXbPiAFllZWGj9npeyU

In that last pic is the closest thing I see to green, and it's just two tabs holding a huge set of wires in place.

Yes I saw that link. The photo does not really help. Guess I'll get waaaaaaay under there with a flashlight and see if I can see anything.

Aha - found it! Thank you for re-assuring me that it really was there. Sometimes just knowing that there is a solution is enough encouragement to press forward.
It is to the right of the glovebox and I only saw it once I had a headlamp on and had my head completely under there. Ouch.
I had to remove the glovebox to get to it. But now it's free and easier to get to. Now I just need to figure out why, when I put the paper clip in place, I get a steady CEL, no flashing.

Ok, finally got the paper-clip short to work. At first I put the clip on the side opposite of where the wires went in. Did not work, and I was not sure it was really shorting. SO added the clip right there the wires went in and got the code: 19 Lock-up control solenoid.
Not having any trouble starting, so not sure this code is relevant at all.
Well, that's car repair for you, just one danged thing after another.

ok so its a auto. the lock-up solenoid is those round cylinder thing on the trans. there is two in a group they will have three 10mm bolts holding them in take it out and clean it with some brake cleaner..

Back