check ENGINE light

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

HellBentHONDA

ok. my check engine light comes on :

1) after the car has warmed up

2) above approx 38mph - give or take a few mph's

3) only with some throttle pressure - but not WOT or too little throttle

the light will reset when the key is switched off and no code will be stored. im thinking its a bad ground or something simple. this has been going on since i did the swap and i'd like to fix this before installing my turbo.

car : 93 cx hatch

ecu : p72

also on a side note im curious about the knock sensor. ive always assumed it was connected to my ecu but never checked as vtec is the only thing people say you need to wire with this swap. thanks for any and all the help :D

goto ur local schucks or whatever automotive store and borrow
their on board diagnostic tool thing and do a serivce check while
your engine is running to figure out what code your ECU is throwing
you. my guess is a lowvoltage code for 1 of your sensors.

Be sure to hook your knock sensor up. If you throw code 23 (KS) and the ECU thinks that it is not there, it will retard your ignition about a billion degrees and puke more fuel into the combustion chambers. You'd do good to either 1) hook it up, it's simple, just hardwire it straight to pin D3 OR 2) get Hondata with the boost featre for when you are boosting and just eliminate the KS function with the software.

Get the code to come on, leave the car on and pull the code. I don't know if it is perfectly safe, but I have done it several times with no ill effects. Jump the service connector.

Originally posted by HellBentHONDA@May 4 2004, 06:28 PM
ok. my check engine light comes on :

1) after the car has warmed up

2) above approx 38mph - give or take a few mph's

3) only with some throttle pressure - but not WOT or too little throttle

the light will reset when the key is switched off and no code will be stored. im thinking its a bad ground or something simple. this has been going on since i did the swap and i'd like to fix this before installing my turbo.

car : 93 cx hatch

ecu : p72

also on a side note im curious about the knock sensor. ive always assumed it was connected to my ecu but never checked as vtec is the only thing people say you need to wire with this swap. thanks for any and all the help :D

What you describe does sound a lot like a knock sensor. If you look in the helms, they ask you to maintain 3-4k for around 10 seconds.

Back