check light( vtec? )

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

allgo

want to know why my vtec is not working?? is it because i have check light on my car?? its a 99b16 into a eg. i am getting 10 and 41. sometimes 21 will appear on occasion tho. timiing on car is off too, will this effect it at all? does this mean no vtec with check light on??

any help will be greatful. thanks

some1 before have helped me with info on taking off code 41 with a link. will that person send me the link again. thanks alot for your time. :worthy:

with a cel on your car will not have vtec and your ecu will run in limp mode until you get your codes taken care of

with a cel on your car will not have vtec and your ecu will run in limp mode until you get your codes taken care of

is that true? i have a p28 that is throwing a couple codes, but seems to be running fine.

yeah with a cel your ecu runs in safe mode, ie. different fuel maps and no vtec so nothing gets damaged, get it fixed and you will notice a big difference. I think its like 80-85% power with a your cel on.

My vtec was kicking in when I was throwing a CEL for my O2 but then again my car was running fine just drinking more gas. :)

Everytime the ECU is throwing a code, does the check engine light..light up?

Originally posted by 97CTR@Sep 25 2003, 02:52 AM

This is NOT true. It depends on what code(s) the car is throwing.

For example, if you're throwing a knock sensor code, you probably won't even notice a difference in the way the car performs.

If you're throwing an O2 sensor code or an IAT code, you'll notice a decrease in performance (retarded timing and extra fuel), but VTEC will still engage.

If you're throwing a code related to VTEC, obviously VTEC will not engage, and your rev limit will be decrease.

The above-mentioned "limp mode" will only be seen if the car throws some of the more serious codes. You'll only be able to rev to about 3500 rpm, obviously with no VTEC.

And for ovcrash's question....Yes, every time the ECU sees an error, it will throw a code, i.e., turn the check engine light on.

can i some how chip the ecu so it dont read the cel??? will that be a big problem if i just chip so no cel and run it with the codes on?? do they make such chips???

if i have cel 10, 41, will i have vtec no matter what?? i running on p28. when i run on p30, the car does not rev pass about 3500. p28 will rev tho. y is that??

Back