Chernobyl 2008

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Cool pics. Thanks for putting your trip up.
I have to interject here.

That's the trip of ZX11R rider Elena Filatova - A woman who's adventures I've been following since the turn of the century. Her trips into Chernobyl started as a way to stretch the legs of her bike. But like all quality bike rides, she also picked up some philosophy.

Read her "About" section. It's a great read.

But as a warning, I got this from my boss (This is NOT joke, this is a direct copy and paste)
I find it irritating that you want overtime. Are you going to provide a credit for the time you spend reading about radioactive magma?

As far as the trees, they aren't thriving - not really. The area of Chernobyl has no animals. She maps out a range of Wolves and deer - But as you get closer to the city, there is nothing. No birds, no noise, not even insects. The trees that grow come from a heavy contaminated soil. After the soil absorbs the radioactivity, the trees will still be radioactive and will require their own hundreds-of-years to die off naturally, produce saplings, those saplings die, etc. After 20 years the radioactivity is hanging low on the ground, but the overall fallout effect will take thousands of years to get out.

Check out her pics of the Orchard.

I have to interject here.

That's the trip of ZX11R rider Elena Filatova - A woman who's adventures I've been following since the turn of the century. Her trips into Chernobyl started as a way to stretch the legs of her bike. But like all quality bike rides, she also picked up some philosophy.

Read her "About" section. It's a great read.

But as a warning, I got this from my boss (This is NOT joke, this is a direct copy and paste)
[/font][/color][/color][/size][/font]

As far as the trees, they aren't thriving - not really. The area of Chernobyl has no animals. She maps out a range of Wolves and deer - But as you get closer to the city, there is nothing. No birds, no noise, not even insects. The trees that grow come from a heavy contaminated soil. After the soil absorbs the radioactivity, the trees will still be radioactive and will require their own hundreds-of-years to die off naturally, produce saplings, those saplings die, etc. After 20 years the radioactivity is hanging low on the ground, but the overall fallout effect will take thousands of years to get out.

Check out her pics of the Orchard.

Dang it! Fooled again.

I've seen some old factories that have perished from old age and no upkeep, but to see an entire city, thats a scary site.

dude... Newark New Jersey.

Done.

Never been to Jersey. Spaulding Fiber near Buffalo closed up when I was a kid, was a very old, large plant that made asbestos. A guy went through there over twenty years later, it looks alot like those pictures. Roof caving in, ponds inside the plant, trees inside of water pipes etc. Just wierd remembering what it used to be.

It is good that Buffalo itself it doing "better," and businesses are actually starting to build again downtown. Factories like that used to be left and right.

Those pics are amazing. So creepy seeing life just stop and disappear. Whole cities gone, everything left and locked in a time forgotten.

I live about 40 mins aways from a nuclear plant, Pickering Nuclear. Rarely have we joked about radiation and a meltdown. These days its super safe and monitored like crazy. Pickering is a nice town i bet most people forget its even there.

Ontario Power Generation: Power Generation: Nuclear Power: Pickering

wow, that plant sucks.
these stations have a total output of 3,100 megawatts (MW),
we have one in CT still in operation that produces
11501253 Mw
and
830910 Mw

in two units :D

Last edited:
Thats some crazy shit, a half life of 24,000 years.

I also thought the comment that not even trees can grow in prison was pretty funny.

I'd like to know a little more of what happened here. Something that's kinda lost among my generation I think, but it is interesting, and I'd like to learn about it.

cliff notes:
a nuc power plant melted down back in 86. fall out ensued.

Back