chubby lil prelude

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

as many of my peers must surely be doing, i am looking into the purchase of a new car (new to me anyways) for graduation, and although i strayed temporarily from honda's engineering genius, it seems the right path inevitably leads you home... so, to be a little more direct, considering the prelude's hefty weight, what are some relatively radical measures that can be easily taken to reduce said weight? and, is the excess mass even noticed when driving? thank you for your thoughts...

derek

Yes the weight is very noticable. You are talking about 400 - 500 hundred more than an integra. Civic have even more on you. That is a huge gap to close in both power and handling. I like the style of the preludes, but I have come to accept that they are too heavy for me to work with on my budget.

what are some relatively radical measures that can be easily taken to reduce said weight?

take said prelude motor, and put it in a crx...

or put the lude on a serious diet...
carbon fiber everything should lighten it up a touch, and then get rid of non essentials like extra seats, spare tire, a/c, p/s, carpet, all that good stuff...

It's really not that bad. You can remove things like power steering, A/C and all related stuff, use a lightweight battery, carbon fiber hood, racing seats, remove sound deadening material....

I had an Accord EX, which weighed 3,000 pounds from the factory, stripped down by over 100 pounds, and the guy that bought it from me stripped it down by 250 pounds for when he'd take it to the track. Anyway, I never really noticed the weight, especially after I got some good suspension installed on the car. The JDM Prelude engine always helped, too. :)

Of course there is weight to be removed, but you can do that to just about any car. Lighter hondas are always going to be lighter. Plus you would definitely notice the extra weight on the track. More weight = slower time. The more important question is what do you want out of your car???

:werd:

thanks again... eventually a mid-twelves type car, but in the short term im looking for a daily driver thatcan also kick some ass. I need at least a partial interior btw.

derek

Back