civic hb engine build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ChrisC

91 civic hb
To start I'd like to say hello to everyone here on Hondaswap.. Well because im a newby here lol. Ive been into doing build ups for quite sometime now, mostly on V8's. Latley the import scene has caught my attention, just something new and more challenging to learn. I picked a Honda because I work at a Honda powersport dealership. I own a 1991 Civic HB with a stock D15B2 that I have completely rebuilt from the head to the bottom end. It runs like a champ but of course I want more lol. Ive been looking into some different engines to build and drop in like a D16A6, B16A1, B18B or B18B1 (if i can even find a gsr motor).

Im not too familiar with the B18 engines but I like the Idea of the 1.8L. I'm just curious if its a good swap to do into a 3rd gen civic hatch? I would like to be in the area of 250-300 whp (still want a streetable car). I know stock at the crank theyr about 130-140 hp. I know of many mods are needed to achieve this from fuel, ignition, ecu tuning, internals, head work and so on. Is there anything I should keep a close eye out for? If im going off track or am I looking at building the wrong engine? some input would be very helpful :D.
Thanks , Chris
Thank, Chris

Well if you're looking for a GSR motor, then you want a B18C, not a B18B. B18A/B is what comes in the RS/LS/and GS Integra. Those range from 130-142 crank horsepower, so if you're looking for that much wheel horsepower to start with, you're gonna want a B18C.

As far as reaching 250-300 wheel horse, it's doable on a naturally-aspirated setup, but it's gonna cost an arm and a leg. It would be easier and cheaper to reach your goals with a turbo setup.

haha yeah i noticed that. Ive reposted into the engine building threads. Like I said im pretty knew to hondas.

Back