1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Civic Wagon 4WD

Discussion in 'HYBRID -> ED-EF / DA' started by psi, Feb 8, 2007.

1. psi

psi Junior Member

I saw a Civic Wagon on sale today and it is a '88. I am asking if there is any history of a B series swap done to this particular car before buying it. I am pretty sure any D series engine will fit. And if a B series swap is possible, will there be complication with the AWD system and the B series tranny/engine.

2. tunedhonda-ata

tunedhonda-ata im turbo bitch!!!!

man that would be nice to do an 89 ls integra swap into it..it will bolt up to the single cam tranny.. then turbo that thing..

3. Andrew

Andrew Well-Known Member

Yeah, I agree, I think it would be easier to stick to D series. A built/turbo'ed D16 AWD would be pretty cool!

:)

4. tunedhonda-ata

yeah the old 89 integras are d-series and dual cam, it should also plug into the wire harness
    well atleast i think it is the 89.. what ever year has pop up headlights

5. B16RacerN2NR

B16RacerN2NR Working Hard VIP

The D16A1's will NOT be a direct bolt in swap. The driver side mount is completely different. You'd be better off going with a DOHC ZC. I've been thinking about building one of these for a while now but I can't find a good FWD one near me. I want FWD because i want to do a B Series swap and I don't know if you can run the AWD wagons with just the rear drive shaft disconnected.

6. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

You can shove a B engine in there with a B to D adapter. Better yet, try an H.

7. psi

psi Junior Member

So, I'm guessing a ZC set up is the easiest with a turbo. Now my question is what is the difficulty level in doing this conversion/swap?

8. tunedhonda-ata

not to sure but the dohc ZC should bolt to the tranny in the car

9. psi

psi Junior Member

Okay for the earlier posts, H series is just way too complicated. Its too much work for the power gain. B series is more cost effective but still requires a lot of work. Now the ZC, from what I am now getting is the most bang for the buck. Or I could just swap it with a electric engine so I can have a 0-60 in 3.5 sec. But then the cost of a electric car is like what? Somewhere in the $12k range.

10. eg6sir

eg6sir Supa Mod Moderator VIP

that AWD wont hold up to much power though

11. phunky.buddha

It's not too bad if you use the stock drivetrain with the stock D transmission.

12. psi

psi Junior Member

Why won't the AWD hold up to the power boost? Isn't there like a upgrade for the drive train to support the higher HP?

13. psi

psi Junior Member

Is it because the parts are "old" and that its a '88? Anyways, I have not bought that civic yet and the individual was "pressuring" me to make the purchase on the spot. I do not like to be pressure and all that. Especially when I am going to spend more than $1k to buy it. But thanks for the input on the upgrade options for such a old car.

14. phunky.buddha

If you're being pressured to buy the car and you're not comfortable, always pass on it. Don't be bullied into a purchase that you're not sure you're going to be happy about.

As far as transmission strength- I don't know personally, but most believe that the old wagon AWD systems just weren't designed to handle much power, and that the torque split to the rear was only 10%.

15. psi

psi Junior Member

That is why I never called the guy back. I dislike being pressured to get something that is a big dollar item. And why is it 10% rear?? That is so lame. I thought it was like closer to 50/50 or something like it.

16. phunky.buddha

Like I said, I'm not sure- I've never seen anything official about it. That's just the accepted number that everyone goes by, and I'm sure there's quite a bit of proof saying that the rear only gets 10%- I've just never seen it.

10% to the rear would be enough to make sure that the car maintains traction in some slippery areas.

17. psi

psi Junior Member

Well, "if" that is the % to the rear, then its not as great as I initially thought. I guess I'll have to do a bit more research to see how much is actually put to the rear.

18. phunky.buddha

19. terror_si

terror_si Junior Member

b series

go b16 with crv manual trans crv rear custom drive shaft

20. richie_

richie_ New Member

heeha!but is that possible?i´ve read that the cr-v manual trans perhaps fit to the awd but would it fit to an b16, or b18 and not only to the b20b3 which is in the cr-v?i have the same problem, not with the awd wogavan, but with the awd sedan ( ee5 ).

Last edited: Feb 22, 2007
Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted