Clarity needed

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

how about giving us a pic of your exact engine so we can better assist you

i have another question. can the si tranny from the 88-91 ef civic si bolt on properly to the zc block with no modifications or problems?

yes parts off the zc can work on a d series, some 92 ex/si civics came with a d16z6 with a non vtec valve cover, and the only integra that came with a single came motor was in over seas non usdm and even those was rare over there.

ok cool thanks for all the feedback. you have all been very helpful in making me learn more about my car, its motor and how to fix many of hte problems i have and given me some clarity on how go about setting it up.

i do have another question however. would the sohc zc " vtec " head yield more hp than the non-vtec? if it does yield more hp, can you explain how it would? if i were to change the head to a vtec head what ecu would i then need?

im not sure if all this is right, but most of it is, some of it is just educated guessing:

the vtec heads are designed better. they flow better and the design usually yields higher compression (thats the guessing based off the B and H series engines ive worked with).

Also vtec heads run more aggressive cams than a non-vtec car (hence the name vtec).

as for the ecu, if you upgrade to sohc vtec, id recommend upgrading to an obd1 system and using a p28 ecu.

thanks for the reply man, really appreciate it just one last question and i'm good to go. which would be better for running boost, sohc vtec head or non vtec?

vtec heads flow better and the more aggressive cam helps in the hands of a good tuner. basically, if you're going to truly tune your engine on the dyno using some kind of engine management whether its crome, aem, neptune, etc, then the vtec head is gonna be fine. If you're just going to be using an FMU and hoping for the best, then just stay with the non-vtec head so you wont be out a bunch of cash when it explodes.

VTEC creates useable power in the high and low rpm ranges. First it starts off on the small camshaft lobes in the lower rpm then at x rpm it changes over to a larger lobe for more top end power, the best of both worlds instead of haveing a standard ohc engine that either has top or bottom end power depending on the cam.

You can't go wrong with VTEC.

ok so where i live has a local autmotive forum, these guys know their honda motors and such but whenever i ask a question about a D-series motor they suddenly go blank. I've made posts similar to this one on there before and have no gotten the clarity to help push me in the right direction with my car. Tonight however i checked on there and someone new has posted something about the D-series motors asking questions which is pissin me off because i feel like calling these guys a bunch of f-ing retards who are replying to the thread he posted as nothing they are saying is making sense except 1 thing that may be somewhat logical to send me on my way(i know i said this before but ignorant ppl may be making me a bit paranoid and i just wanna know what is what)

Are the parts from the D15 motor interchangeable with the D16/ZC motor? parts such as intake manifolds, exhaust headers, throttle bodies, (internals i doubt so i won't go there), distributor and such?

ok so where i live has a local autmotive forum, these guys know their honda motors and such but whenever i ask a question about a D-series motor they suddenly go blank. I've made posts similar to this one on there before and have no gotten the clarity to help push me in the right direction with my car. Tonight however i checked on there and someone new has posted something about the D-series motors asking questions which is pissin me off because i feel like calling these guys a bunch of f-ing retards who are replying to the thread he posted as nothing they are saying is making sense except 1 thing that may be somewhat logical to send me on my way(i know i said this before but ignorant ppl may be making me a bit paranoid and i just wanna know what is what)

Are the parts from the D15 motor interchangeable with the D16/ZC motor? parts such as intake manifolds, exhaust headers, throttle bodies, (internals i doubt so i won't go there), distributor and such?
yes all the stuff you listed from a d15, will work for your d16

ok thanks guys. i'm good now. i now feel i complete in knowing everything about the motor in my car, how to fix it, interchangeable parts, and such. most helpful ppl on an automotive forum i've ever come across i really appreciate it and will continue to learn more myself in hopes to one day help someone who doesn't know

If you have any other questions, the community loves to give back, so just keep asking. Wish I saw the thread sooner I would have loved to help.

ok i have a zc stamped motor in 93ex civic. what kind of spark plugs and what kind of spark plug wires do i use

ok i have a zc stamped motor in 93ex civic. what kind of spark plugs and what kind of spark plug wires do i use
dude you shouldn't have to ask... i'm pretty sure a google search would suffice for more common knowledge such as spark plug types...

Start your own thread please. It's not polite to "thread jack"...

Back