1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

clear coat very dull

Discussion in 'Body / Exterior / Interior / Cosmetics' started by calmfornow, Aug 12, 2010.

1. calmfornow

calmfornow System Failure Racing

i just painted my 92 accord and the color turned out pretty decent but im not getting a decent shine out of the clear coat, i see minor shine but nothing all that good, it looks really dull, i used the duplicolor clear coat. i would love to have this thing look nice but it just is bugging me and i dont know what to do, the temp was pretty hot it was around 92 degrees out but we were under a tent to keep it a tiny bit cooler...any help would be great....thanks

2. eg6sir

eg6sir Supa Mod Moderator VIP

you have to buff it for it to shine

3. calmfornow

calmfornow System Failure Racing

should i wet sand it down with 2000 grit sand paper first then buff it or just buff it

4. drbelanger73

drbelanger73 Beer is good for you.

Clearcoats

I'm not a pro painter by any means, so take it all with a grain of salt...

The only clear I have ever shot was House of Kolor Klear, the regular clear not the flow coat if you want to get technical. I had wet sanded the final clear down with 1200 paper (by hand not machine). After that I used a cutting compound and a buffing wheel, followed on by wax. I would post a pic but I recently repainted the car white. I intend to clear it again this weekend, so I'll try and get a pic for you.

That said, House of Kolor is some top end shit, and it may well look better than duplicote. The real secret is sticking with the same brand the whole way through. Paint is not paint, and each manufacturer makes their own stuff in their own way. Mix brands at your own risk...

5. eg6sir

eg6sir Supa Mod Moderator VIP

yea.. 2000 grit should be fine.. remember to sand in one direction only.. dont swirl or cross-hatch your sanding

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted