1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

clearance issues on a turbo build

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by wannaberacer, Mar 13, 2006.

1. wannaberacer

wannaberacer Member

What do you guys recommend for main bearing clearances as well as rod bearing clearances for high HP turbo motors? I'm kinda thinking about running the mains a little looser than teh .0016" max recommended by the shop manual to maybe .0025. The rods I was thinking about .0025 too. What do you guys run for your turbo motor builds?

BTW: its a dart block, wiseco's and eagles...

2. MXDesa

MXDesa Senior Member

I dont think thats a good idea. It may not seem like much but you definately want a solid and tight bottom end. If anything, make clearances the max allowed. Too much gap and you will not have the correct oil circulation and pressure. I ran minimum clearances on my talon engine, and it holds up extemely well.

3. vanillakilla

vanillakilla Senior Member

yeah you need to keep your clearances within spec or you'll run into problems with the motor. I would run them on the loose side of what honda recomends but do not go past the max

4. wannaberacer

wannaberacer Member

thanks for all the input guys. I'll keep them around .0015" or so.

5. wannaberacer

wannaberacer Member

I talked to the builder today, he still wants .0020 on the mains and .0025 on the rod bearings. What do you guys think?? This is on a dart block, gt40r, etc... I really don't expect to run the motor more than 20k miles before I freshen it up again. Is .0020 too loose??!

6. wannaberacer

wannaberacer Member

Yea, he understands. He's the crew chief for a top fuel team. And he thinks .0015 is too tight for sure. He wants me to use thicker oil and run looser tolerances. I have a gt40r that is going on the car, and I'll be makeing about 700whp on high boost. He thinks with that kind of power the tight clearances can be a problem... Is there anyone out there making over 500whp that can clue me in???

7. wannaberacer

wannaberacer Member

He just built a good friends 4g63 with looser clearances than he suggested for me. And the 4g63 actaully runs the same main clearances honda's do. That motor has been running a gt42r for almost 8000 miles now with no issues... Is there anyone who has a built motor than can give me an idea if I need to go loost or not???

8. wannaberacer

wannaberacer Member

ok blanco... have you ever built a motor that made any kind of power before??

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted