Clearing The Cat

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

brian11to1

What will happen if I clear out the Cat? It's an OBD0 car (90 Integra)... will it perform better?

If you cat isn't clogged this is not worth the effort. You won't feel it. When I got my car it had a hollow cat on it. I replaced the cat shortly there after and did not feel a power difference.

You'll feel and hear the difference. I got a 91 Integra and when i cleared out my cat, I could feel the high end power. Just make sure when you clear it out, you get EVERYTHING out. Its like a white brick with hella holes in it. You have to get all of that out or else it can clog up your muffler and then its pointless. Theres a wire mesh around the pipe on the inside, too. I left mines on there but now that i think about it, i should've taken that out too so the air can flow more freely without shit in the way.

Originally posted by rixXxceboy@May 5 2003, 12:21 PM
but he has a built H22. i think he will feel a difference.

:D
Nah, we are talking about a 93 LS engine.

You'll feel and hear the difference. I got a 91 Integra and when i cleared out my cat, I could feel the high end power. Just make sure when you clear it out, you get EVERYTHING out. Its like a white brick with hella holes in it. You have to get all of that out or else it can clog up your muffler and then its pointless. Theres a wire mesh around the pipe on the inside, too. I left mines on there but now that i think about it, i should've taken that out too so the air can flow more freely without shit in the way.

You will hear a difference, but you won't feel it. People tend to imagine things that they want to be true. You won't feel any power difference. Nobody can feel a 1-2 hp difference with their butt. As for this obsession with "free flowing" your 1.8l needs to move 1.8 liters of gasses out of it every 2 revolutions. That is not a lot of gas to move. Hollow cats are in the same league as cut springs. Ghetto. If that is the only think you can think of to make "more" power (meaning more noise) you are in the wrong hooby.

It is unlikely that you would get caught, but if you did the fine is huge. If you feel that your cat is that big of a performance suck (if it is not clogged it isn't sucking enough power to worry about) get a car sound. They are much less than a fine for tampering with your cat.

Originally posted by lsvtec hatch93@May 5 2003, 11:36 AM
the sound of header + a gutted cat i great

:tisk: ...i gotta disagree with you on that one. I don't like the sound of it much. i know someone who did that and it sounded like shit. he was running a DC header with his gutted cat on a stock exhaust system and it sounded worse than a riced-out ride.

It really does sound bad. It is loud and raspy as hell.

I don't have an H22... thats the plan later in life! However I think I'll go with with lsvtec, Eric's cool!

What are you talking about? You lost me in you last past about perfromance suck and gettin caught and fined and what?

Originally posted by 199IntegraBuildUpH22A3@May 5 2003, 10:24 AM
What will happen if I clear out the Cat? It's an OBD0 car (90 Integra)... will it perform better?

there was an article in SCC a while back....gutting your cat out is not good

because its not the same diameter as the rest of the piping, the gutted cat causes the flow to be disrupted cause its not traveling through a pipe, and its not a smooth transition from gutted cat -> piping

Keep the cat, the gains (if any) wont be worth how stupid its gonna sound with a gutted cat, especially on a n/a car

Originally posted by 199IntegraBuildUpH22A3@May 6 2003, 11:03 AM
I'm not clearing the cat now... Im convinced however how do I use the QOUTE BUTTON...

you click it, and then enter you responce to it...

arent after market cat gutted? im pretty sure they are.. well... my cat is gutted and top end is awsome

Originally posted by civic_SI_hatch@May 9 2003, 12:43 AM
arent after market cat gutted? im pretty sure they are.. well... my cat is gutted and top end is awsome

ummmmm no
they just have a higher flowing grid in them

Originally posted by civic_SI_hatch@May 8 2003, 09:43 PM

The top end is in your head. I garauntee that you cannot feel the extra 1 hp.

Back