clutch problem on my b18c type r

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I was out cruising for a few hours on the freeway last night and at the end of the night i started having transmission problems. Shifting was very hard and it took a lot of force to get into any gear. I alos noticed that when I depressed the clutch pedal my revs wouldn't drop very fast until I pulled it out of gear. I checked my clutch fluid and it is fine. I was trying to think what the problem might be and all I can think is bad clutch/pressure plate or something with the hydraulic operation of the clutch keeping it from disengaging. My roomate seems to think that it is a problem with my short shifter (dc sport) but when the car is off it shifts into gear no problem. Has anyone ever encountered this? Oh, and btw it is a stock clutch/pressure plate that came with the motor.
Thanks,
Jon

You should ALWAYS replace the clutch when you buy a used motor. Did you inspect the clutch when you got it? I'm not saying for sure that thats your problem, but it could be.

I have a stock 2000 b18c1 swapped into a 97 Civic HX and had the EXACT same problem. Couldn't shift while the motor was running, clutch wouldn't disengage completely. I thought it was hydraulics too, until I replaced both master and slave cylinders with no change. I sent it to my mechanic 'cause I didn't want to do the job.

Turns out the clutch disc had a broken spring retainer which had shifted up near the pad and it was making contact where the clutch pads were not. The thing cut a 1/4" groove in my pressure plate. Result:

New Clutch, plate and bearing. Luckily the flywheel survived. I had it resurfaced like usual.

Sorry, but I think you're gonna find the same thing.

Back