Clutch problem with noise

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

92CHB

So i have a fidanza 3.2 clutch with a fidanza flywheel and in the past few days i have noticed a noise coming from the car when i accelerate or have the rpm's above 3k. I am 99% sure that the noise is the throw out bearing, but it makes no noise at idle. Also the clutch doesnt grab nearly a well/hard as it used to and it seems to be a little harder to get into gear. But the thing that surprises me is that the clutch isnt even a year old, and yes i replaced the throw-out bearing. Could this just be a faulty throw out bear? OR could it be the slave cylinder? I am just looking for any help and/or opinions to my problem. Thanks!

Okay upon further investigation i have found that the noise does go away with the clutch pushed in. But when i removed the rubber dust boot around the clutch fork i can see that the fork is wet from fluid and from the smell of it it smells like old/used tranny fluid(cat piss).:mad:

Last edited:
most the time to test the TOB, you listen when the car is in neutral with the clutch in vs out... if its out and makes noise, it;s likely the TOB.

slave cyl won't make noise... it will just make the clutch spongey or not engange/disengage it at all

Okay upon further investigation i have found that the noise does go away with the clutch pushed in. But when i removed the rubber dust boot around the clutch fork i can see that the fork is wet from fluid and from the smell of it it smells like old/used tranny fluid(cat piss). Just found a nice puddle of tranny fluid underneath my car :( Looks like time for a new tranny. anyone know if the tranny fluid will destroy my clutch? its pretty new :(

You might not necessarily need a new transmission unless it's ran out of fluid and been driven that way for awhile. I would suspect the input shaft seal is leaking inside the bell housing if it is indeed trans fluid that is leaking out. If it still shifts through the gears fine without grinding then you should be able to replace the seal and keep your existing tranny.

As far as the oil on the clutch it is definitely not good for the disc material. It's basically the same thing as getting oil on your brake pads since the compounds are similar. It will soak up the oil and start slipping like you were describing in your first post. You can try spraying the disc off with brake clean when you pull the transmission, but chances are if it's already been soaked for awhile it won't help. Good news is that if you don't have that many miles on the clutch you can probably get by with just replacing the disc and keeping the pressure plate you already have.

Make sure you check the transmission fluid ASAP and fill it as necessary to prevent further damage to it.

Back