Clutch questions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Del_Sol95guy

I'm looking into swapping out the clutch on my 95 Del Sol Si, thing is this will be my first attempt.
I'm not looking to spend much on parts as I'm on a bit of a budget and found a 'nice' deal on ebay for an entire kit. Can anyone give me comments on the Exedy and Fidanza brands? The clutch is an OEM replacement exedy and the flywheel is a 7lbs Fidanza. Any comments would be great, thanks!

Fidanza makes an excellent light weight flywheel. I have heard a few complaints about the Exedy clutch with guys making about 200hp. I really like using Cometition Clutch. They make great products, but might cost a little more. I also once used a Centerforce Dual Friction clutch that lasted a long time with a stock motor and nitrous and they a pretty reasonable for the price.

I had Exedy replacement and Fidanza(imitation) flywheel on my Accord; no complaints here! If you're making some power, definitely skip the Exedy and get something else. Everyone I know has had problems with the higher stage Exedys.

I have a genuine Fidanza on Civic and it's just as good as the imitation one. No problems here. Although, I recommend a ~12lb flywheel for drag racing and daily driving. The 7lb is "more work" and a little more difficult to launch than the 12.

Thanks for all the info, but could someone explain the effects of the light weight flywheels a little more, is a 7lber going to be too light for "spirited" daily driving and the occasional circuit or solo?

-thanks

too light of a fly wheel can off set the idle of your car. during shifts u will lose rpm.s alot faster with a lighter fly wheel and it can make the acc. rough sometimes

I've never had any issues with idle. Yes, you do lose RPM's quicker, but you can make up for it by shifting faster or slipping the clutch during shifts(give it just enough clutch to change gears).

Doesn't make acceleration rough, just makes starting off harder due to less flywheel inertia(bogs easier).

Back