Clutch/syncros Jdm B16a1, Y1 Trans

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uppertorso

First of all, I would like to thank everyone for their help with my questions. It made this swap possible and actually fun, I was able to smoothly complete it over one weekend with no Check Engine Codes. So thank you very much and please check out my pics (excuse the dryer exhaust tubing, it is temporary)

https://hondaswap.com/gallery/browse.ph...hp?album_id=441

My question is:
-i am considering overhauling the Y1 tranny, due to the fact that it is grinding badly in 3rd and 5th. Should I go with OEM parts with this or are there more heavy duty syncros??? Also I intend to use this vehicle as a daily driver but would like a more durable clutch. I am hoping that you can make suggestions based on experience seeing as this is my first engine swap with Hondas. Thanks in advance, and any input is appreciated. :D

if i were you i would go with OEM synchros, honda trannys go for ever when treated right, my neighbors 90' CIVIC wagon is still going strong with 370,000 miles, still on the stock tranny. I am swaping a ls 5th gear into my b16 tranny (I have a tranny, and no motor.. lol) and i will be using new OEM parts as far as the gear and synchros. for the clutch, i would check out exedy, act, and clutch masters. I have a exedy clutch for my b16 tranny, and i have heard nothing but good things about them...

OEM if you can get them. Some Honda dealers won't sell you just synchros, others will. If you don't have a Helms that has a B Series cable tranny in it, get one.

Hi. I'm looking at getting my Y1 transmission reconditioned too. Funnily enough my 4th to 5th synchro is worn, but the others seem pretty good.

I was actually just searching around asking the same question "aftermarket gears or OEM?". This is the first discussion on the topic I've found. I personally couldn't even find aftermarket synchro sets for this transmission, except for Quaiffe ones, which were really expensive.

When I get the transmission rebuilt, I am thinking of adding an aftermarket LSD designed for the Y1 and I guess a HD clutch and lightened flywheel while I'm at it. No point doubling up on labour down the track hey...

Question time:

1. Should I only replace the 4th syncrho, or would it be more worthwhile to replace all of them while I'm at it? (This is a 1990, first transmission service ever).

2. What do the OEM synchros actually cost each (or in a set)?

3. What aftermarket options are out there and how much are they?

4. Is there anything else that I should consider replacing/fixing while the transmission is in pieces? (I'm an amatuer - I'll be getting a workshop to do this for me.)

Thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back