1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Code P1259

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by 97dxswap, Nov 6, 2004.

1. 97dxswap

97dxswap Junior Member

OK here goes:

97 Civic DX Coupe
    00 Si B16A2 Swap
    97 p72 ecu

Car has run fine since the swap was done 3 years ago. Recently the VTEC stopped working and my redline went from 8200 to 6500. The engine cuts out at 6500 in all gears.

I went to AUTOZONE and they told me I had a code P1259. After much research, I have learned to check a number of things. I removed the VTEC oil pressure switch and tried one from my friends b16a3, but it still won't work. Redline is still 6500 ...I'm guessing because ecu is in limp mode.

My oil level is fair..I would say towards the bottom line of the dipstick but still between the lines.

Could the oil level be the problem? I know its not the pressure switch and all wiring appears normal.

Help cuz not having VTEC sucks.

2. darien234

darien234 Senior Member

3. driverunknown

driverunknown Senior Member

Why don't you fill up your oil to the level where it should be before you post? I'm sick of people saying," my o2 sensor isn't hooked up yet and my car runs like ass."
    You are doing the same thing. Fill your oil then check.

4. sohcslammer

sohcslammer Senior Member

Having low oil will cause your VTEC to not engage, not your motor to cut out at 6500. Trust me, it has NOTHING to do with your oil level. I have been in multiple hondas with low oil and the car still revs up to 8k, you are just waiting for VTEC to come on and it never does. Try reseting your computer and see if the cel comes right back. If not, and your car revs past 6500, then it is in some crazy limp mode. (I've never seen a p72 CUT OUT at 6500 but anythings possible) If you reset your computer and the cel comes back instantly, then I have no idea....

I guess that wasn't much help, huh? Sorry, I've never seen that before.... :shrug2:

5. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

vtec problems will not set a rev limit. hell, you can rev up in neutral, never hit vtec (computer won't do it with no load) and still hit 8k. that reasoning is flawed.

re-pull the code. either you read it wrong or where you looked it up is wrong.

sounds like either an o2 problem or map sensor problem to me.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted