Cold Air/Warrantee?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Harms Way

I was just curious to know some information. I was wondering about cold air intake systems and if I put one on my car if the warrantee on my car would still stand. I was going to purchase one from AEM and had a question about the system itself. what are the disadvantages/advantages of the short ram and regular systems? Also, can anyone inform me on the downside of a cold air? I heard that when it is rainning you can hydrolock your motor with a cold air system. This will be my very first installation on my car. BTW, it is a stock 99' Honda Civic EX. Any info is well appreciated. Thanks
Also, I performed a search on this topic and didnt come up with the information i needed. Thanks again.

Im guessing that both a short ram and a cold air would both void the warranty, but it wouldnt hurt to call the dealership. Get a comptech icebox and just put the stock one on when you go to get it serviced otherwise.

Uhmm, Thanks for the reply man, but you failed to hit all of the questions i asked. No problem though. Thanks for the reply anyway.

Q--I was wondering about cold air intake systems and if I put one on my car if the warrantee on my car would still stand.

A---if i am not mistaken there must be a direct link between the part and what is wrong with your car"ex - a CAI has no effect on the faulty rotors".

Q-- was going to purchase one from AEM and had a question about the system itself. what are the disadvantages/advantages of the short ram and regular systems?

A---short ram gets you a little better throttle response, CAI will net a little more hp from the intake sucking in outside temperaturs instead of enginebay temps.

Q--Also, can anyone inform me on the downside of a cold air?

A---well if you drive over a lake and your intake sucks up water, well then you can hydrolock your motor, in other words WATER DOESN'T COMPRESS WELL.

Q--I heard that when it is rainning you can hydrolock your motor with a cold air system.

A--Well people spray water into the intake track on turbo cars so that it will cool down teh temperatrue, the death is vai large amounts of water, I had a CAI on my hatch and the filter was visible from the bumper, and i used to drive through puddles, ec..and even during hurricane season here in south florida, I had Zero Problems, but a buddy of mine did hydro his motor once, due being a dueche.

good luck,

Thanks so much JDMilan. I didn't want to sound like an ass when i said that noone hit all of the questions i asked though. You hit every one. Thanks again! I am going to go with the polished AEM CAI.

Originally posted by Harms Way+Mar 6 2004, 02:46 PM-->
Also, can anyone inform me on the downside of a cold air?
The downside of cold air- blowing up your motor. You can get the bypass valve, but you lose any HP gains you get from the intake.

Harms Way
@Mar 6 2004, 02:46 PM
I heard that when it is raining you can hydrolock your motor with a cold air system.

I hydrolocked & blew up my motor from having the AEM CAI, but it wasn't from rain. I got caught in a flood. But prior to this incident, I never had problems with the CAI in the rain.

You will only hydrolock your motor if you submerge the filter element in a BIG puddle. If its raining you will be ok. Think of it as vaccuum pressure in your intake, drown it in water it will get sucked up into your engine.

Big Puddle usually means, don't drive slow over that thing :)

for safety though you can get the bypass.

Back