Completely stumped

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

RickParker

I changed the head on an OBD2 b18 and got everything back together. It started and ran for a few minutes at idle but when i gave it some gas it shut off.. i have fuel and spark.. the timing is dead accurate with everything TDC on #1.. but the belt is a little loose.. how do you adjust that? would that being loose have any effect on it not starting again? im goin to change the dizzy cuz it was starting to go bad.. any other suggestions?:confused:

adjust ur timing tensioner . what i do is loosen the tensioner and turn the crank w a rachet one way or the other till it seems tight. not sure if that the proper way but it worked for me ...

as for the other .. is it throwing any codes? sounds like it may be the TPS. not 100 % on that though..

Depending on how loose or worn the belt is it may have skipped a tooth throwing timing off. Unlikely, but a possibilty. :eek:

Depending on how loose or worn the belt is it may have skipped a tooth throwing timing off. Unlikely, but a possibilty. :eek:

true that. i guess in all the years of doing it i assumed he changed that when he changed the head.. hmm oops.. lol anyway its good practice to change timing belt and tensioner and if unsure or have extra cash hell why not wter pump too lol ...

yeah its all new except the water pump.. i think its brand new.. anyways i have no spark now so im guess in it is the dizzy.. before i di all this i had 5 codes.. P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304.. (cylinder 1,2,3 and 4 misfires) and an enhanced code P1300.. Noone can tell me what this codes mean not even the dealership?? anyways, im almost positive its the dizzy since it ran then shut off.. ive been looking for a dizzy since before i changed the head and noone seems to have a good one for a LS.. and i did turn the crank and tighten the tensioner and the belt is tight when i push against but when it ran it was wobbling real bad like it was about to jump a tooth.. ive never had this much trouble wit a car until now

Id verify that youre on the timing marks and then look at the distributor if it was running fine before you change the head.

Back