Compression Ratio questions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Disnitch

I am in the middle of getting all the parts together for my LS VTEC build and I am trying to decide whether to keep my stock B18B pistons or put in some PR3 pistons. It's a JDM B18B so if I am correct the Compression will be right around 9.7:1. With the PR3 pistons it will be 11.6:1. This is my daily driver so I wondering if I could get away with 87 Octane with the stock pistons at that compression ratio or it I would need 89 or even 93. If I went the PR3 route I know I would always need 93. In addition I plan to get a Phearable ecu with the LS/Vtec tune, but I'm wondering if I could even drive the car at all with that high a compression ratio without getting a real dyno tune done to the car. Any help is appreciated...

other thing to think about is I'm assuming that the 9.7:1 is the stock b18b compression if you use a b16 head it will raise your compression a little and if you are using a gsr head it will raise your compression close to a full point.

Back