Computer Guru's Please Help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CRX-YEM

Super Moderator
VIP
Ok here's the system
AMD 1.4GHz w/ Thermal Take Volcano heat Sink
Tyan S2390 rev B
512MB PC133 SDRAM
40GB Western Digital Hard Disk
PNY nVidia Ti4200 64MB
Linksys 100tx 100baseT
Plextor Burner
Sony Cd reader
Antec power supply and Case
Running Win2k

here's the deal.

Every so often the damn computer freezes up. reboot freezes on reboot.
So It turned out to be a bad hard disk, got a new one from WD installed
comp ran fine.

OK now my buddy calls me says my computer still freezes up. I'l like WTF
I've never in my life had a problem like this. To data I've swaped video cards, network cards
moved cards around in different PCI slots, re-installed win2k, put the system on an apc back-ups
for fear of poor line quality.

and get this the fucker still freezes up.
only thing I haven't tried is a different processor MB and Ram.

anyone wanna give me some of there input on what you think or have had experience with in the past.
It's drivin me fuggin nutz.

thanks
D.

try a maxtor hard drive, I have had nothing but shit luck with western digital, have lost so much shit from those hard drives failing, whenever i but a new computer i first thing i do is pull the hard drive and add more ram.

Move the RAM around to different slots, make sure it's seated correctly... maybe the CPU's heatsink isn't properly seated and it's causing hot-spots in the chip. Make sure your heatsink grease is properly spread out. Maybe some of the cards are loose?

Just throwing some things out there...

Mike that's exaxtly the kinda stuff I wanna see (hear)

I was thinking of tryin a new hard disk, and it'd be a maxtor as well.
I used to swaer and die by WD, but latley they are :crap:

I think I've tried movin the ram around, I know I've done various PCI slot movements.
but hey I'll give anything at shot at this point

Do you have known good memory to try? Last time I saw this problem (on a Gateway here at work) it turned out to be one of the DIMMs had gone bad. Our freeze was much less predictable so it was harder to track down.

I'll have to givee it a try, I've got a shit load of Dimms layin around .

Most likely to be your ram or the mainboard. If you have mutiple ram chips, try installing one and see if the system ran fine, if it does then try the other one. Most of the time, the board maker will want you to install the smallest size chip in the slot 1 of the memory slot and go up the line with the largest. Another thing is try not to mix different chip makers(for the ram).

If all else fails, then its the mainboard. :lol: Had a problem like this before, i just scraped the computer and built a faster one. :lol:

Back