computer issues

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

civicnoob

96 civic ex

The previous owner of my car blew the engine and then replaced the block with a non vtec block. ever since then he was driving it with the check engine light on like an idiot. I now have to register the car and got laughed at by the smog guy cuz the light was on.
i took it to autozone and got the codes read and i have a code for a knock sensor and yet on the d16y7 block thats in the car there is no knock sensor. no im looking at changing the computer to shut off the light and get the car smogged yet i don't want to loose the vtec is there a way to shut the light off without changing the computer or a computer that doesnt need a knock sensor input and still has vtec.

:(

CEL = Check Engine Light

As for chipping if you search the sight you will find plenty of info.

No need to chip, obviously you are running a ecu for a vtec motor. Only vtec motors require a knock sensor so if you want to get rid of the cel than get a non vtec single ecu. If the car in your avatar is yours than you need an obd 2 dx, cx or lx ecu and it will throw no codes. If your obd2 you can't chip your ecu unless you backdate to an odb1 ecu.

Back