Computer Question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by SolPWR@Aug 26 2003, 08:19 AM
for around $400 the only intel processor ur gonna get is the celeron. The P4 is like $250 alone. All you really need is a good graphics card cause now a days these graphic cards have their own processors and the speed of you main processor is only secondary. just get a good 128mb graphics card and ull do just fine!

No sir, my P4 2.4 GHz with the 800 MHz FSB was only $173 (for the retail package).

will a 64mb video card work for most games today ? or does he really need a 128 or bigger for todays games ?

Originally posted by 97hatch@Aug 26 2003, 12:54 AM
if he is truely using it for gaming i would strongly sugest staying away from the intel celeron or amd duron. these procesors dont have math co prosessors in them and that is almost a must for gaming

Geez. All Intel Celerons and AMD Durons have been made with FPUs for quite some time now. The Celerons just have fewer processing pipelines than the P4s, and both the Duron and Celeron have less L2 cache than their bigger brothers. There's not that much difference between the "main" chips of each manufacturer and their "value" lines anymore.

I'm gunna stay out of this, because from what I'm reading, I could build a VERY good gaming system like the one I have now for under $400 bones.

With a $180 19" Sony monitor, $140 aluminum case, and EVERYTHING else from scratch, I built my current system a year ago for less than $800.

Yeah, you can build a solid system for under $400. You just have to scrounge around for some deals. I'm about $4000 deep on my system right now, but that's less than half the amount of cash that was in it while I was still in college...

Back