computers suck

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

preluderjs

I have a vaio laptop that was working fine a couple days ago but now for some reason all the programs that use the internet to function (AIM, firefox, WMP, ares, etc.) wont connect to it. When I open a command prompt window and check for an ip address it shows that the computer is recieving a connection. Anyone seen anything like this before? What can I do to change whats going on? Thanks for the help in advance.

give me more on the problem, if it doesnt work after restarting the computer then its prolly something with your router if you have one or modem if you broadband internet, reset the modem and router if you have one

First, check on the back where your network cable plugs in. Make sure the connection is alive by verifying if the green light is on. Just to make sure your NIC card didnt take a crap on you. Second, did you install a software firewall like ZoneAlarm recently? Some firewalls will require you to give permission to access the "trusted zone" which is usually your ip address.

eh, try going into the most recent topics that everyone is raving about and when you click on the link, pictures or the new page won't show bc you have netnanny or some stupidity like that at work :(

:blink:

Originally posted by Mattyg2+Nov 30 2004, 02:52 AM-->
give me more on the problem, if it doesnt work after restarting the computer then its prolly something with your router if you have one or modem if you broadband internet, reset the modem and router if you have one
[post=424021]Quoted post[/post]​

its been restarted numerous times and hooked up to 2 different connections, (at home and in the dorms). When i was at home i restarted the modem a couple times but that modem was having some problems anyway. But yea, the computer is still getting a connection when i check for it in the command prompt window.

Originally posted by Battle Pope@Nov 30 2004, 11:02 AM
Sounds like a DHCP issue. can you renew your IP address?
[post=424066]Quoted post[/post]​

I have no clue what a DHCP is but its been connected to 2 different IP addresses. I'll try hooking it up to my roommates but i doubt that'll do anything.

allmotord16rex
@Nov 30 2004, 12:26 PM
First, check on the back where your network cable plugs in. Make sure the connection is alive by verifying if the green light is on. Just to make sure your NIC card didnt take a crap on you. Second, did you install a software firewall like ZoneAlarm recently? Some firewalls will require you to give permission to access the "trusted zone" which is usually your ip address.
[post=424128]Quoted post[/post]​

ha, i dont know that much about computers like the NIC card but theres been no new software installed recently that i know of.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

DHCP = automatic assignment of IP address. Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol. :p

He means to check the lights where the network cable plugs in.

Try doing this.

in your command prompt, type "ipconfig /release"

then "ipconfig /renew"

without the quotes obviously.

I just tried the release and renew for the IP, I dont think it did much, but after playing around w/ firefox for a little bit i found that if i keep hitting refresh or clicking links for about 15 to 25 seconds non-stop the pages load. I'm starting to think its some kind of internal hardware failure or somethng, fuck it... I think I'm just going to call it quits till I let someone play around with it because this shit is weird, hardly any consistencies. Thanx anyway.

Back